PDA

View Full Version : Compuserve finally gone

Judy G. Russell
September 29th, 2005, 11:22 PM
If you've popped in to any of the forums over in what once upon a time was a vibrant industry-leading service, you'll have noticed that Compuserve is no more. The forums, such as they are, are now Netscape forums.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

ndebord
September 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
If you've popped in to any of the forums over in what once upon a time was a vibrant industry-leading service, you'll have noticed that Compuserve is no more. The forums, such as they are, are now Netscape forums.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

When the Putz and Puta showed up to announce their brave new world, CIS still had a million or so members, no?

I'm curious about how many people still pay CIS to connect to the Net. And how that looks on the Time Warner books. In other words, how many of us longtime lovers of OLRs, etc., left a siinking ship altogether.

Peter Creasey
September 30th, 2005, 10:17 AM
N, I still use CIS Classic for my email (via Mozilla Suite) at the minimum BYOA plan.

Jeff
September 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM
When the Putz and Puta showed up to announce their brave new world, CIS still had a million or so members, no?

I'm curious about how many people still pay CIS to connect to the Net. And how that looks on the Time Warner books. In other words, how many of us longtime lovers of OLRs, etc., left a siinking ship altogether.

I'm paying $2.95 a month to keep my CIS address of 18 years, and for a one hour dialup backup to my broadband connection (that's cable so no dialup available for a backup connection). I also have a clothespin on my nose.

- Jeff

rlohmann
September 30th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I'm paying $2.95 a month to keep my CIS address of 18 years,How do you do that?

(I don't even use the address anymore, but, like you, I've had it for a long time and some people still send messages to it.)

Peter Creasey
September 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM
>> >> I'm paying $2.95 a month to keep my CIS address of 18 years <<
How do you do that? <<

R, You just call up the CIS number about cancelling your account and state that you will stay around for the $2.95 plan.

Jeff
October 2nd, 2005, 01:55 PM
How do you do that?

(I don't even use the address anymore, but, like you, I've had it for a long time and some people still send messages to it.)

What Pete said, but I didn't threaten to cancel. What you do have to start with is the demand to speak to someone who understands "CompuServe Classic", and that can be problematic. Beware of Bombay. But once over that hurdle the "one hour for $2.95 plan" was understood and implemented.

Customer Service Freephone: 1-800-848-8990
Customer Service Direct: 1-614-457-8600

- Jeff

Wayne Scott
October 2nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
I'm also holding my nose for the same reason.

Wayne

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
This cartoon (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/fasttrack.asp?date=20050929) kind of sums it up.

MollyM/CA
October 3rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
That was great. I also enjoyed the text below the comic:

Note: If you're using Norton Internet Security 2005 and cannot see today's comic strip, please read our special help page. Help is also available for Norton Internet Security 2004, Norton Personal Firewall 2003 or older versions.

If you're having problems with Zone Alarm Pro, see this page.

If you're having problems with eTrust EZ Firewall, see this page.

If you're having problems with the Firefox browser, see this page.

That was interesting. I clicked on the 'wrap quotes' icon with the text not copied to the page yet and got one 'quote' bracket. Pretty smart little guy there.

So how is it that you're reading the PI, if it's not too nosy a question? I get their cartoons because my college roommate's husband was a political reporter there for years but I didn't know the preference was national.

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2005, 03:24 PM
So how is it that you're reading the PI, if it's not too nosy a question? I get their cartoons because my college roommate's husband was a political reporter there for years but I didn't know the preference was national.A friend referred me to that particular cartoon. Bill Holbrook, many of us know, also draws the Kevin & Kell cartoons which are a great favorite of mine.

ndebord
October 3rd, 2005, 04:17 PM
N, I still use CIS Classic for my email (via Mozilla Suite) at the minimum BYOA plan.

Pete,

When I decided to leave CIS, I went whole hog and dumped the ID too. It helped that my backup email address was from Novell and was widely distributed .

Dan in Saint Louis
October 3rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
http://landiss.info/graphics/scan115.jpg
As you were.....

Lindsey
October 3rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Oh, Dan, that's GREAT!

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2005, 10:20 PM
WOW!!! Great job, Dan!!!

Nick Parkin
October 4th, 2005, 03:26 AM
That is a VERY good cartoon.

I think Forums died a natural death, the Internet moved out of the realm of people who were interested by computers, & knew how to use them. It's just another utility now, a quicker way of looking up the bus timetable, & seeing what's on at the movies or on TV tonight.

Any one got any tips on dipping a toe into VoIP? Skype? (See? thread drift outlives Forums).

Peter Creasey
October 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Dan, Very clever!

davidh
October 4th, 2005, 10:26 AM
N, I still use CIS Classic for my email (via Mozilla Suite) at the minimum BYOA plan. There was a thread in the Classic Support forum a couple months ago about Classic UNLIMITED now being available for $9.95 / mo.

BYOA is the same price so you might want to call about switching.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
October 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Any one got any tips on dipping a toe into VoIP? Skype? (See? thread drift outlives Forums).Kelvyn over on DTP uses Skype and can answer all your questions about it. He's got a thread there about Skype from a webpage (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?t=1183&highlight=skype).

Peter Creasey
October 4th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Classic UNLIMITED now being available for $9.95 / mo.

David, I am on a $2.95/mo plan. I have no need for the 1 hour of time that comes with this plan. To my knowledge, this is the cheapest plan available to keep my CIS Classic email address.

ndebord
October 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM
http://landiss.info/graphics/scan115.jpg
As you were.....

Dan,

On that empty headstone? AutoSig please!

<sob>

P.S. Aside: And if you would add a dog pissing on the P-CIS Cemetary plaque!

Mike
October 4th, 2005, 12:59 PM
<applause!>

earler
October 4th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Voip is the big thing right now. There are something like 1100 companies offering voip telephone service in the states now. Most of them will disappear within a year or two, or in a few months. If you are interested in trying a service, pick one that is likely to be around. Certainly, vonage is in this category. If you call frequently to europe, consider lingo or broadvoice.

Note that you need a decent broadband isp, with at least 256k bps upload speeds.

Skype is ok if you are willing to call from your computer with headphones and a micro. Note that voip itself can be used while your computer(s) is/are turned off. Skype requires a computer.

-er

rlohmann
October 4th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Very appropriate. Thanks, Dan.

rlohmann
October 4th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Pete.

rlohmann
October 4th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I'll give them a call. Beyond keeping the compuserve.com address, I don't need--or want--anything from the present regime at all.

rlohmann
October 4th, 2005, 04:02 PM
So CIS gets its last rites in a comic strip.

There's a certain sad logic about that. Certainly the individuals who killed it have a certain cartoonish dimension about them.

PeteHall
October 4th, 2005, 05:35 PM
I was thinking the other day that I really should get round to ditching CIS because I was down to my last forum... then I noticed the rebranding

I've just deleted all my CIS cookies and logged back on using a free Netscape ID and will be attempting to cancel my account in the next few days

Rats! Just remembered I'm the world expert on Geoffrey Pyke (top hit on Google... I'm even cited in Wikipedia), so I need to move a few web pages first

Judy G. Russell
October 4th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah, make sure you cover everything you need to protect first. I went through the last two years' worth of email etc. to make sure everything was switched over to my personal web addresses before letting it go.

Judy G. Russell
October 4th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Certainly the individuals who killed it have a certain cartoonish dimension about them.Gee, if I agree with you in public (which I now can!), I wonder who'll call me abusive and hostile this time...?

ndebord
October 4th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Gee, if I agree with you in public (which I now can!), I wonder who'll call me abusive and hostile this time...?-)

Judy,

Is there no consistency in your logic? Agreeing with Ralph, I predict, will be bad for your liver!

;-)

Judy G. Russell
October 5th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Agreeing with Ralph, I predict, will be bad for your liver! ;-)Not my liver. I don't eat the stuff. I don't even stay in the same room as people who are eating the stuff.

ndebord
October 5th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Not my liver. I don't eat the stuff. I don't even stay in the same room as people who are eating the stuff.

Hush Judy,

Were we proposing that you lose yet another body part? And this to cannibalism? Heaven forbid. Still, it does seem logical that there will be some form of adverse reaction to you and Ralph being on the same page!

<g>

Nick Parkin
October 5th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Kelvyn over on DTP uses Skype and can answer all your questions about it. He's got a thread there about Skype from a webpage (http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?t=1183&highlight=skype).

Interesting that they have used the same Forum s/w that you used! Is this coincidence? I notice that the obnoxious Mr. Manners :eek: has abandoned his website & gone for the same s/w too - how many of the CS forums have taken this route? Does anyone keep check? Is there a list & links? Ever thought of keeping a list?:p

Dan in Saint Louis
October 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Is there a list & links? Ever thought of keeping a list?:p
We could call it ExileServe.

Judy G. Russell
October 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I wasn't discussing a human liver. Someday we'll have to see if we can entice one of our forum members (formerly a lab tech) or our resident curmudgeon retired pathologist to tell us about human livers... No, not eating them (no Hannibal Lechters around here, I hope!) but chasing them down!

Nick Parkin
October 5th, 2005, 03:07 PM
This is going to be my problem - I live about as far from the exchange as ADSL will operate & my ISP will only give me 1M download, but I notice by measurement that this only has 256K upload. I suspect that this is marketing at work, the public judges a product by it's quoted download, nobody looks at the upload & for quite a few products the contention ratio isn't quoted at all!

Note that you need a decent broadband isp, with at least 256k bps upload speeds.

Peter Creasey
October 5th, 2005, 04:08 PM
my ISP will only give me 1M download, but I notice by measurement that this only has 256K upload.

Nick, This speed doesn't sound too bad unless you have special requirements. You will probably find these data transmission speeds quite satisfactory (unless I missed something by not reading this thread???).

Gary Maltzen
October 5th, 2005, 06:06 PM
1M download, but I notice by measurement that this only has 256K upload This is fairly typical for residential circuits; the assumption is that you will be sending a small amount of data (i.e., HTTP requests) and receiving in turn a much larger amount of data. A typical HTTP request is probably a couple hundred bytes at most whereas a typical web page is probably 1-10K and typical image files will run 10-100K.

earler
October 7th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Don't forget that each and every packet downloaded with tcp must be acked. Therefore, uploading can be fairly intensive during file downloads.

-er

earler
October 7th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Peter, bear in mind that speeds will vary according to traffic on the isp's backbone. So, one won't always get 256k uploads. Worse, if someone on the family's home network is playing a game or downloading a large file, that could cause problems for any voip calls in progress.

-er

Dan in Saint Louis
October 7th, 2005, 08:57 AM
uploading can be fairly intensive during file downloads
I'm seeing downloads requiring about 50 times the throughput of the associated upload housekeeping -- attached.

chm
October 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Judy, IMHO, CompuServe has been on its way to gone since the mid-'90s. AOL and the Internet killed 'em. Unfortunately.

And I'm saying all that as a former Wiz.

CompuServe was sure good when it was good, wasn't it? A hard thing to explain to people now - I don't even try. You had to be there.

Actually, I've been long wishing Classic CIS would give up the ghost, as I'm too lazy to sit on the phone to cancel my personal account. I've been paying $2.50/m for years.

Carolyn

fhaber
October 7th, 2005, 04:20 PM
>too lazy to sit on the phone to cancel my personal account.

Personal opinion: There oughtta be a law. In a democracy, there would be.

Judy G. Russell
October 7th, 2005, 05:29 PM
CompuServe was sure good when it was good, wasn't it? A hard thing to explain to people now - I don't even try. You had to be there.That's the truth, and I'm both very glad I was there when it was such a special place to be... and very very glad to be out of there now.

Judy G. Russell
October 7th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I guarantee you that a certified letter return receipt requested would work.

Lindsey
October 7th, 2005, 11:13 PM
There oughtta be a law. In a democracy, there would be.
<sigh>

--Lindsey

Gary Maltzen
October 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM
sit on the phone to cancel my personal account
Call Ohio directly (1-614-457-8600) and talk to someone stateside. IIRC, took me about five minutes to cancel.

Remember to REMOVE Virtual Key and any software that might cuase you to (inadvertently) make further use of that account as they will graciously and automatically revoke the cancellation.

chm
October 8th, 2005, 05:02 PM
That's the truth, and I'm both very glad I was there when it was such a special place to be... and very very glad to be out of there now.
Ditto, Judy. My sentiments exactly.

Something many of us old-timers have the pleasure of - still being in touch with some of the neat people we were fortunate enough to meet back in "the good old CIS days."

Like you guys around here.

I have others I'm still in touch with regularly in E-Mail - people who have been friends for 10 years or more now. (Some I've met in person; some I've talked to on the phone. Funny thing - it doesn't really matter that much if I have or not.)

Sometimes I wonder about some of my CIS friends who got lost along the way. I miss them - it surprises me how much. One of my dear CIS friends even died. I still miss him. (Yes, some of you may have known him from the Music Forum - Jim Smitherman.)

BTW, some of the people I miss seeing more of were former TAPpers. Neil Rubenking - fun to hang around with. Seeing more of Fernando! Weren't there some goofy twins? And Art Shaak, with his funny music (he spent me a tape once). There were other tear-ups as well. Wonderfully creative, witty people. What about TAPfests? Remember those? I've been to three here in the L.A. area (Does a PC Magazine dinner count as a TAPfest?)

Waxing a little nostalgic here in a strange kind of cyber way...

Carolyn

chm
October 8th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks.

I really should just do it already. While it's only $2.50/month, I could be doing better things with that change.

Guess I'm thinking of being putting on hold forever like the old days, which aren't any more.

Carolyn

Judy G. Russell
October 8th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Sometimes I wonder about some of my CIS friends who got lost along the way. I miss them - it surprises me how much. I couldn't agree more. Ah well... things change, I suppose, and it isn't always possible to hold on to all that's good from the past...

Peter Creasey
October 8th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Guess I'm thinking of being putting on hold forever

Carolyn, I called the 800 number the other day and used option 5 and got directly someone who could adjust my plan the way I wanted to. My experience has been that usually there is not much, if any, of a wait.

chm
October 14th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks, Pete. : )

Carolyn

Dan in Saint Louis
October 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Compuserve is no more. The forums, such as they are, are now Netscape forums.Funny new thing happening. If a sysop edits a user's message, the sysop also picks up that user's signature line.

Yep, the sysop's sig changes for all future messages to that of the user she edited.

Judy G. Russell
October 14th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Funny new thing happening. If a sysop edits a user's message, the sysop also picks up that user's signature line. Yep, the sysop's sig changes for all future messages to that of the user she edited.ROFL!!! But hey... it's wonderful software... what are you complaining about!?!?

MollyM/CA
October 14th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Carolyn:

Wanna really wax your nostalgia?

I mourned my old shortcut to Tapcis, and the logo that has been in the center of my desktop since I've HAD a desktop for it to be in the center of, and Judy showed me how to create a Web document (and will have to show you as I've forgotten and forgotten where I put my notes --s'pose it's here somewhere--) and make a shortcut to it so the a double-click on the icon opens ....

This forum!

The web document is named

http://tapcis.com/forums/index.php?

Since I have the forum bookmark right on my 'personal toolbar' in Mozilla, I don't use the shortcut approach much, but it's comforting to know that it's there and functioning. I'd never have been happy with a dummy (except me, of course).

MollyM/CA
October 14th, 2005, 09:05 PM
How splendid.

Lindsey
October 14th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Yep, the sysop's sig changes for all future messages to that of the user she edited.
Oh, that's cute. NOT! :rolleyes:

--Lindsey