PDA

View Full Version : March of the Frogs

Lindsey
September 28th, 2005, 04:07 PM
DeLay Indicted! (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/28/politics/28cnd-delay.html?hp&ex=1127966400&en=9bd5e2ff29f4fdc2&ei=5094&partner=homepage) (Free registration required)

I really didn't think it would happen. Boy, this is going to be interesting.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tapcisforum/images/frog.gif

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I was going to post this with the headline "Justice DeLayed..."

Lindsey
September 28th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I was going to post this with the headline "Justice DeLayed..."
Keith Olbermann did a whole riff on the "Justice DeLayed" theme tonight on "Countdown". I wish I could remember how it went, but it ended up somthing like "...or will justice be delayed because he just is DeLay?"

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 28th, 2005, 11:31 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. One little state prosecutor's office against the entire financial and legal might of the GOP? I wish the prosecutor luck. He better have an airtight case.

Lindsey
September 29th, 2005, 08:43 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. One little state prosecutor's office against the entire financial and legal might of the GOP? I wish the prosecutor luck. He better have an airtight case.
Yeah, Ronnie Earle's got his work cut out for him. But he's gotten farther with the case than I ever expected he would. I really thought he was going to end up getting tossed out of his position before he could wrap up his investigation, or the Travis County DA's office would be stripped of its special jurisdiction in cases involving the state election code, but he's still there, and so is the case.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 29th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I really thought he was going to end up getting tossed out of his position before he could wrap up his investigation, or the Travis County DA's office would be stripped of its special jurisdiction in cases involving the state election codeI don't think even the Texas GOP could withstand the firestorm if they'd tried THAT.

RayB (France)
September 30th, 2005, 05:10 AM
**It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.***

Yep, it is. You know, it occurs to me that not living in the States, as we do, has some big advantages. Maybe being older enters the equation, as well. We no longer have our vision blurred by the 'trees' when looking at the 'forest'. We no longer have to have answers before facts are known. We know that the media world-wide is BS and it would be laughable if it weren't so seriously taken by people with their own agendas both domestic and foriegn.

We don't know who did or not did which aided to the Katrina foul-up, we don't know if De Lay is guilty of anything, we don't know what the Dems agenda is, they haven't said, etc. But that's okay . . . . we'll wait. People screwed-up the relief effort. Let's find out what went wrong and fix it. If De Lay is guilty of something, throw him in the slammer. We will wait for the verdict. When the Dems finally get around to detailing how and who wants to do what, we'll make the decision as to whether or not it has merit. The fact that we are GOP folk will not blind us. We voted for Gov. Dick Lamm three times in CO. He was the best man and did a helluva good job for Coloradans.

We just don't feel the need to get caught up in the US or World frenzy. As Joe Friday used to say - 'Just give me the facts, Ma'm!'

Lindsey
October 2nd, 2005, 10:23 PM
I don't think even the Texas GOP could withstand the firestorm if they'd tried THAT.
They considered it, apparently, or at least made noises about it, but in the end didn't go through with it. Maybe they came to the same conclusion you did.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM
They considered it, apparently, or at least made noises about it, but in the end didn't go through with it. Maybe they came to the same conclusion you did.It's been astounding in recent years what those in power would do to stay in power. Remember that the GOP majority in the House seriously considered changing the House rules to let a leader stay on after indictment -- simply because they were expecting problems for DeLay. And even they had to back down.

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2005, 08:41 AM
You know, it occurs to me that not living in the States, as we do, has some big advantages. Maybe being older enters the equation, as well. We no longer have our vision blurred by the 'trees' when looking at the 'forest'. We no longer have to have answers before facts are known.I don't know about the living outside the US part because I don't live outside the US. But I do think in many cases (not all, but many) people do mellow out as they get older. We start seeing the shades of grey rather than the black and white that I seem to recall from my younger years.

Jeff
October 3rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
I don't know about the living outside the US part because I don't live outside the US. But I do think in many cases (not all, but many) people do mellow out as they get older. We start seeing the shades of grey rather than the black and white that I seem to recall from my younger years.

After 21 years I came home in the fall of 2003. It took until the fall of 2004 for the truth of DC and the politics of this country in general to sink in. I am seriously disgusted and for the first time in my 62 years I'm becoming political.

- Jeff

MollyM/CA
October 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
for the first time in my 62 years I'm becoming political.

Yup. Bush and his reign of trolls has done that for a lot of us.

Perhaps there will be some ripples, no matter how the current DeLay instalment ends. We got a delightful message on our machine two days ago, giving details of the bucks and other support DeLay put into the campaigns and works of one of our worst congressmen.

RayB (France)
October 3rd, 2005, 02:12 PM
I don't know about the living outside the US part because I don't live outside the US. But I do think in many cases (not all, but many) people do mellow out as they get older. We start seeing the shades of grey rather than the black and white that I seem to recall from my younger years.

I'm sure that is true in many cases but I have seen just as many who's attitudes are so ingrained that they will never change. I have never been a 'Black and White' person I am happy to say.

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
I'm sure that is true in many cases but I have seen just as many who's attitudes are so ingrained that they will never change. I have never been a 'Black and White' person I am happy to say.Oh I've met a few of those "it was good enough for my great granddad so it's good enough for me" types, too, I'm afraid...

Judy G. Russell
October 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
for the first time in my 62 years I'm becoming political.Anyone who doesn't become political (or, at a rock bottom minimum, anyone who doesn't vote) doesn't have much of a right to complain, in my book. I believe it was Edmund Burke who wrote: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Lindsey
October 3rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
It's been astounding in recent years what those in power would do to stay in power. Remember that the GOP majority in the House seriously considered changing the House rules to let a leader stay on after indictment -- simply because they were expecting problems for DeLay. And even they had to back down.
Yeah, but at the same time they reversed that change, they instituted a new rule (the first act of the 109th Congress--how's that for chutzpah?), also largely to protect DeLay, that required a majority vote of the House Ethics Committee in order to launch an investigation of a member. (Previously, an investigation was launched if the committee vote remained tied after 45 days.) It was only because the new rule required procedural votes by a majority of the committee in order to institute them that Democrats were able to prevent their implementation (and hold up all work of the committee) for another several months before the Republican leadership was finally forced to give in and reverse the changes in the operation of the Committee.

They'd have gotten away with it if there weren't people out there (largely bloggers) watching them like hawks and making lots of noise when they try to pull stunts like that.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
October 4th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately, CYA has become the major rule for politicians of all stripes...