PDA

View Full Version : Ask your Tapcis questions here!

TapcisForum
May 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Tapcis is still a very useful program, for classic email and for access to the remaining (mostly adult) HMI forums.

Need help with Tapcis and how it works? Ask here!

ndebord
June 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Judy,

Just as an aside, do you think there would be any interest in adding in a Virtual Access section to the Tapcis board? I ask because I always thought of it as part of the big 3: Tapcis, OzWin and VA.

Judy G. Russell
June 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM
We'll be happy to consider it if the demand is there. But I understood VA was being supported by its own website, no?

ndebord
June 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM
We'll be happy to consider it if the demand is there. But I understood VA was being supported by its own website, no?

VA may well have its own website. If they do, however, I don't know where it is!

<sigh>

woodswell
June 5th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Virtual Access is now Open Source with a support board at Source Forge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/
There is also the Virtual Access Foundation site: http://www.virtual-access.org/

But not much seems to have happened in either place for quite a while. And there does not seem to be any sort of community forum, so maybe it would be nice to add a section here for VA users in hopes that their conversations would help spur further development.
Anne

Judy G. Russell
June 5th, 2005, 12:57 PM
My concern about having a section for VA users is that the only distinctions we have now are public vs. private and one section for Tapcis support and one section for OzWin support. I wouldn't want a VA support section without having someone from VA to answer any questions, and I wouldn't want a section other than a support section that suggests any division among forum members.

bob(mc)
September 25th, 2005, 10:49 AM
It's a LONG time since I last accessed Tapcis and my PC is failing to make contact since a recent major disk crash. How do I go about unsubscribing from it.

bob(mc) - Septuagenarian

bob(mc)
September 25th, 2005, 10:54 AM
It's a LONG time since I last accessed Tapcis and my PC is failing to make contact since a recent major disk crash. How do I go about unsubscribing from it.

bob(mc) - Septuagenarian

Jeff
September 25th, 2005, 12:33 PM

bob(mc) - Septuagenarian

Unsubscribing from what, Bob? The TAPCIS forum on CIS is no more. It's not there. It's gone. AOL murdered it. To unsubscribe from CIS apply here; you will be connected to India, which is what AOL thinks of CIS.

Customer Service Freephone: 1-800-848-8990
Customer Service Direct: 1-614-457-8600

- Jeff

bob(mc)
September 25th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Unsubscribing from what, Bob?
- Jeff

I was able to download mail from Tapcis last time I tried Jeff :mad: They're still deducting a few dollars (read £'s) from my account, so I thought to save that. I would like to have collected the last of my mail first of course :(

Dick K
September 25th, 2005, 05:49 PM
I was able to download mail from Tapcis last time I tried Jeff :mad: They're still deducting a few dollars (read £'s) from my account, so I thought to save that. I would like to have collected the last of my mail first of course :(
As Jeff noted, you want to unsubscribe from CompuServe, not from TAPCIS (which is simply a program and which does not charge you anything).

Judy G. Russell
September 25th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I would like to have collected the last of my mail first of course :(If you've ever set up your Tapcis mail for POP3 access, you can still get it at mail2web (http://www.mail2web.com) or, in any event, with any CServe software you may still have around. Otherwise, we'll need more info: what OS, what error message, etc., to try to help you get that one last download before you cancel your Compuserve membership.

BrucePatterson
September 30th, 2005, 10:07 PM
How do I set up Tapcis to access this forum?

Bruce

Dan in Saint Louis
October 1st, 2005, 09:15 AM
Teach it to be a Web browser.

Lindsey
October 2nd, 2005, 10:13 PM
You can't.

--Lindsey

bob(mc)
November 3rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
If you've ever set up your Tapcis mail for POP3 access, you can still get it at mail2web (http://www.mail2web.com) or, in any event, with any CServe software you may still have around. Otherwise, we'll need more info: what OS, what error message, etc., to try to help you get that one last download before you cancel your Compuserve membership.

Judy,

Many moons later.

Entering my details into www.mail2web.com produces the error msg:
Login Failure. Please check your email address and re-enter your password

I have double-checked the details and tried them in upper and lower case.

As you may remember, I'm THE computer idiot extraordinaire at times

bob(mc)
November 3rd, 2005, 05:05 PM
Oops! I used win98 SE before and now use XP Pro 2. I'm unsure about setting up a web address at any point.

Lindsey
November 3rd, 2005, 06:40 PM
Entering my details into www.mail2web.com produces the error msg:
Login Failure. Please check your email address and re-enter your password

You don't say what details you entered.

The e-mail address has to be your full address: myemailaddress@compuserve.com

The password has to be the mail-only password that you set up for POP3 mail. This is not the same thing (or should not be the same thing) as your dial-up logon password.

Do you know whether or not you ever set up a mail-only password? If not, do you have any CompuServe-supplied software (CS 3 or 4, for example)? Or do you have Virtual Key installed for your browser?

--Lindsey

bob(mc)
November 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM
You don't say what details you entered.

The e-mail address has to be your full address: myemailaddress@compuserve.com

The password has to be the mail-only password that you set up for POP3 mail. This is not the same thing (or should not be the same thing) as your dial-up logon password.

Do you know whether or not you ever set up a mail-only password? If not, do you have any CompuServe-supplied software (CS 3 or 4, for example)? Or do you have Virtual Key installed for your browser?

--Lindsey
Lindsay,

I can access Tapcis.
It screams for about 28 secs (did this before and someone told me how to stop it) and I can get as far as 'scanning waiting messages'.

Bottom line is:
com1:115200 CPS total 300 say CPS current 400 say * DTR CD RTS CTS 0

It then gives a 'requesting topic change' (or words to that effect) and log off.

This is via a 56K modem, albeit I use broadbad for everything else.

Is that of any help?

I 'think' it's CS3. Any way I can check? Don't know about Virtual Key.

I jpoined Tapcis about 1988 and have long since forgotten how to drive it as I had it set up to do so automagically. Obviously the major disk crash and change to XP Pro SP2 finished me off. I can give you a list of the files I have if that' of any use.

Lindsey
November 9th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Is that of any help?
Umm--no. Sorry. Your question was about mail2web, which is another thing entirely from TAPCIS.

I'm a little short of online time at the moment, but if you're willing to be patient, I could possibly help you with TAPCIS if you'd post exactly (that is, via copy and paste) what shows up in your ONLINE.LOG (or on your screen) when you try to collect your mail. I have never seen or heard of any message that said "Requesting topic change," so I think you must have misremembered what you saw.

If you want help getting Mail2Web set up, post a message in the Classic CompuServe Support forum (http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-cssoftware). That forum can also help you get CS3 (or, more likely, CS4) running on your PC. Windows XP requires a different version of the CompuServe software than Windows 9x; they can tell you in that forum where to go to download it.

--Lindsey

bob(mc)
November 9th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Lindsey said:
> I'm a little short of online time at the moment

And I'm off to Scotland until Nov.19th <g> I'll see if I can capture the screen. Do you want it posted here in due course if I can?

I'll have a look at the the Classic CompuServe Support forum when I get a chance.

Many thanks for your efforts.

Lindsey
November 9th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I'll see if I can capture the screen. Do you want it posted here in due course if I can?
Sure! And I or someone will try to figure out what is going on.

Have a good trip to Scotland! I've been reading quite a lot about ancient Scotland, lately--a book tracing the "real history" of King Arthur, who, according to the author, was based largely in the area between the two Roman walls, with his primary seat at Carlisle. Lancelot, according to this book, was in reality a King Anguselus (whose name translated to Old French as L'Anselot) whose kingdom was in the vicinity of Edinburgh and Stirling.

--Lindsey

bob(mc)
April 25th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Lindsey said:
> I'm a little short of online time at the moment

And I'm off to Scotland until Nov.19th <g> I'll see if I can capture the screen. Do you want it posted here in due course if I can?

I'll have a look at the the Classic CompuServe Support forum when I get a chance.

Many thanks for your efforts.

I gave up in the end and cancelled my (unused) subscription in the end :o

Judy G. Russell
April 25th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I gave up in the end and cancelled my (unused) subscription in the end :oI think most of us ended up doing the same...

Lindsey
April 25th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I gave up in the end and cancelled my (unused) subscription in the end :o
Just to clarify: You were the one who was off to Scotland, was going to capture the error messages on the screen and check the Classic Support Forum.

Frankly, though, if you have another e-mail account you can use, I think you're much better off at this point using that rather than CompuServe. Without a good spam filtering system, CompuServe mail has become all but unusable.

--Lindsey

bob(mc)
May 8th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I think most of us ended up doing the same...
You've made me feel better already Judy :)

bob(mc)
May 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Just to clarify: You were the one who was off to Scotland, was going to capture the error messages on the screen and check the Classic Support Forum.

Frankly, though, if you have another e-mail account you can use, I think you're much better off at this point using that rather than CompuServe. Without a good spam filtering system, CompuServe mail has become all but unusable.

--Lindsey

You have it in one Lindsay. The on;y reason I was 'holding on' was to catch up on my mail. Unfortunately I can't remember who had my CompuServe address, but a relative told me (by snail mail) that an e-mail had bounced so I was able to catch that one.

Judy G. Russell
May 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM
You've made me feel better already Judy :)Good. No reason to feel guilty about that decision!

Lindsey
May 8th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately I can't remember who had my CompuServe address
You can still use TAPCIS to read your saved MAIL.MSG file offline. You could go through it and be sure that all of the people in it that you wanted to correspond with had your new e-mail address.

--Lindsey

bob(mc)
May 11th, 2006, 02:52 PM
You can still use TAPCIS to read your saved MAIL.MSG file offline. You could go through it and be sure that all of the people in it that you wanted to correspond with had your new e-mail address.

--Lindsey

Care to expand on how Lindsay?

davidh
May 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I think the assumption might be that you have had TAPCIS installed on a PC for some more or less lengthy period of time and that incoming messages to your Classic Compuserve email address have been accumulating in the INBOX of TAPCIS on your PC during such a period.

If that is not the case then there might be few or no messages in your TAPCIS installation to scan for the names and email addresses of your correspondents to notify them of your new address, etc.

Of course, if you actually have to re-install TAPCIS even to have any TAPCIS software to run on your computer, then the INBOX in TAPCIS would initially be EMPTY and the ONLY messages you might be able to access would be those still remaining to be downloaded from your Classic Compuserve account.

However, if you DO have some TAPCIS message files stored on some disks (e.g. floppies, CD's, etc.) then it would be possible to read those message files on a different installation of TAPCIS from that installation on which the messages were originally received from Compuserve. If this is the situation that you are in, it is highly likely that Lindsey or somebody else in this forum would be able to help you further.

I don't have TAPCIS installed on my computer any more. I don't subscribe to Compuserve any more. But I sure did like the TAPCIS program when I was a Compuserve Classic user.

Hope that helps.

David H.

not a sysop ;)

Lindsey
May 11th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Well, there are a number of ways to do that, depending on just how you have TAPCIS set up, and what the current status of your MAIL.MSG file is, but one way should always work is to start TAPCIS, press <R> to <R>ead files, and then choose MAIL.MSG from the pick list that pops up.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
May 12th, 2006, 10:04 AM
What I did when I was ready to close my CServe account completely was open MAIL.MSG in Tapcis and then isolate the last 120 days worth of mail (use the View function to set the dates). Then I simply did a copy-and-paste of any relevant email addresses and sent a single email to everyone on that list advising them of the change of address.

Jeff
May 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Old, old, real old, school here; still @compuserve.com

- Jeff

Lindsey
May 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Oh! Of course; I misunderstood his question. For some reason, I thought he was asking how to open the file.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
May 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Once I developed my own website, there just wasn't any reason to keep the compuserve email address, Jeff, especially since all I ever got at that address was spam.

heinz57g
May 14th, 2006, 02:28 PM
hey, above brought up an interesting question: how many of us still use TAPCIS for mail actually? how many on a daily basis, how many mails/day, how many just occasionally?

wondering if this question will be read here, or if it should be moved to another section to get solid answers.

are there any estimates, or educated guesses, how many people still use TAPCIS out there that might NOT be members here?

greetings - heinz -

Judy G. Russell
May 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM
We don't have any way of knowing, Heinz. We certainly tried to reach everyone we knew of who had any connection with Tapcis in the weeks before this forum opened, to replace the one CServe closed. But since there are no cookies left and no continuing registration fees, it's anybody's guess.

heinz57g
May 15th, 2006, 05:43 AM
well, any chance of finding out by putting this question up front where everybody would read it? your move.

or ''any educated guesses''? from you, lindsey, jeff , and the many others in the know?

is there any listing or voting feature on the forum for things like this?

in find it intriguing ... and most interesting. you dont?

greetings - heinz -

davidh
May 15th, 2006, 06:06 AM
well, any chance of finding out by putting this question up front where everybody would read it? your move.

or ''any educated guesses''? from you, lindsey, jeff , and the many others in the know?

is there any listing or voting feature on the forum for things like this?

in find it intriguing ... and most interesting. you dont?

greetings - heinz -
If the Compuserve Classic private forums (including the adult rated forums) are still using the CIS HMI protocol then there may still be some sysops using TAPCIS to manage forums ?

If you still have an account, you might post such a question in a forum such as the adult intimate chat forum (maybe that was not the actual name).

Perhaps someone in the Classic support forum or perhaps Matt (sysop in practice forum) would know answer to such questions? (web view forums)

David H.

Judy G. Russell
May 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM
is there any listing or voting feature on the forum for things like this?Sure -- make sure you're in advanced mode and choose the polling feature. Go right ahead. The best place would probably be the TapRoom, but a lot of the people most likely to be using Tapcis mail are in the Parlor playing Dixonary.

heinz57g
May 15th, 2006, 11:14 AM
>> Sure -- make sure you're in advanced mode

me? i am always in advanced mode.

>> and choose the polling feature

WHERE would that be? pls hold my hand.

>> The best place would probably be the TapRoom

not sure, as you say, only limited visitors. another suggestion, more up front and visible for everybody coming in?

>> in the Parlor playing Dixonary

well, that, in my most humble opinion, is not email in the email sense (i am already hiding). or at least, they
should get a seperate count in this poll.

greetings - heinz -

Jeff
May 15th, 2006, 01:15 PM
hey, above brought up an interesting question: how many of us still use TAPCIS for mail actually? how many on a daily basis, how many mails/day, how many just occasionally?

greetings - heinz -

I'm still using it for email on a daily basis, Heinz. I might as well as I'm keeping my CIS membership as a dialup backup to my broadband cable ISP. And I'm glad I did as the ISP part of the cable goes down with some regularity, even though the tv side of the cable does not.

- Jeff

heinz57g
May 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM
same here, jeff, regularily, both offc and private. and still happy with it, wouldnt there be the cuts in access abroad, where, still, dial-up is often the only quick-and-dirty option.

by the time others find a provider, buy a scratch card and set up their WLAN, i have long downloaded my mail, answered it, and am off to the next country.

the two of us are not alone, are we?

greetings - heinz -

bob(mc)
May 15th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Well, there are a number of ways to do that, depending on just how you have TAPCIS set up, and what the current status of your MAIL.MSG file is, but one way should always work is to start TAPCIS, press <R> to <R>ead files, and then choose MAIL.MSG from the pick list that pops up.

--Lindsey

Alas I have closed my Tapcis account :o

Judy G. Russell
May 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Alas I have closed my Tapcis account :oYou don't have to have a Compuserve account to be able to read the mail.msg files that are on your hard drive, Bob. Just locate the file (use the Find feature in Windows Explorer, for example) and then use a copy of Tapcis to open it.

Judy G. Russell
May 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM
>> and choose the polling feature

WHERE would that be? pls hold my hand.
See the attached GIF. (This is for NEW posts only, not replies.)

>> The best place would probably be the TapRoom

not sure, as you say, only limited visitors. another suggestion, more up front and visible for everybody coming in?There are three times as many threads and many times as many messages in the TapRoom as anywhere else (except the Parlor, which doesn't count because of the problems with threading from the Yahoo email link).

DR PORTNOY
March 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I am having some problems running Tapcis6 under Windows 2000: 1) My editor program, (WP5.1 DOS), locks up when I try to open it to Write, Reply; and 2) I am getting some video screen defects on the Tapcis main screen when I return from checking/sending mail or when I exit to another DOS program, (that is on a batch to run when closing Tapcis).

Is there a reliable e-mail reader out there that has the nice organizational characteristics of Tapcis?

Lindsey
March 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure what to suggest to you; it's been a long time since I have used TAPCIS, because I'm no longer using CompuServe mail. But you do know that you don't have to use a DOS editor program, don't you? You an use any Windows program that can be run from a command line and can save a file in DOS-format ASCII text. I have used TextPad with TAPCIS; another you could consider is UltraEdit. Or if you prefer to stick with WP, you could try a Windows version of WP, which may be more compatible with Windows 2000.

I don't have a clear idea what you are doing regarding (2), so I'll have to defer to someone else who might better understand what you are seeing.

As far as suggestions for other programs: I use Outlook at the office, and I have to say that mostly I find it a pretty decent program. The chief drawback is that I'm not sure you can save e-mails in a format that would be readable by other software. But it does have a decent search facility, and you can save messages into whatever folders you choose to define. (This is Outlook, now, not Outlook Express, which is a different program, and one with which I am not familiar.)

I know that a lot of other people around here like Thunderbird and Eudora.

Of course, another alternative is to set up a gmail account, which gives you almost unlimited capacity, "threads" your e-mail messages, lets you "tag" e-mail threads with any number of tags you want to assign to it, and allows for both searches on your mail and filters on the tag settings.

--Lindsey

DR PORTNOY
March 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks for your response, Lindsey. There is a program out there called "tame" which is very helpful for running DOS programs under later versions of Windows. I loaded Tame and it solved my weird video problems. But it remains to be seen whether I can stay with Compuserve with all the HTML mail that it can not decipher. Thanks for the recommendation for Outlook. I did not realize it had more organizational features than Outlook Express.

Lindsey
March 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM
There is a program out there called "tame" which is very helpful for running DOS programs under later versions of Windows.
Oooh, that sounds interesting! Do you have a URL?

Thanks for the recommendation for Outlook. I did not realize it had more organizational features than Outlook Express.
I've never used Outlook Express, so I don't really know how the two compare, but for a Microsoft product, I have been reasonably pleased with Outlook, which at the office runs off of an Exchange server. (I don't know if it runs in other environments or not. I'm not sure why Microsoft insists on confusing the issue by giving different products nearly identical names.)

--Lindsey

DR PORTNOY
March 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
It,http://www.tamedos.com/downloads/downloads.htm, has helped me switch to Wordperfect5.1 from Tapcis6, but I'm trying to transfer over to viewing my CIS account through Outlook. I dare not get rid of the Compuserve account as I wonder how people deal with lost contacts in the process!

Judy G. Russell
March 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I dare not get rid of the Compuserve account as I wonder how people deal with lost contacts in the process!What I did was gather up every email address of everyone who had sent me an email in the year before and sent them an email as to the new email address. I then kept the Cserve address open for 6-8 weeks in case something new trickled in. Then I figured if the person hadn't written, and hadn't switched my address in their email, well, I might not want to hear from that person that much anyway!

Lindsey
March 13th, 2008, 11:10 PM
It,http://www.tamedos.com/downloads/downloads.htm, has helped me switch to Wordperfect5.1 from Tapcis6, but I'm trying to transfer over to viewing my CIS account through Outlook.
Thanks for the URL! If you need any help accessing your CompuServe account with Outlook, check out the Classic Compuserve Support forum (http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-cssoftware). There's a file over there with information about setting up POP3 accounts with any number of other clients.

But as Judy said, the best way to deal with switching to a new e-mail address is to e-mail your recent contacts over the last year, keep the box open long enough to mail changes of address to anybody you might have missed, and then just bite the bullet and make the switch. If you've notified everyone you have had contact with in the last year, then you've done as good a job of covering all the bases as you would have if you were changing a physical mailing address.

--Lindsey

Dodi Schultz
March 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I don't know whether my experience will be at all helpful to "Dr. Portnoy", but I've got Win 98SE, and I still use TAPCIS. (I also use WP5.1/DOS, but that's a separate thing.) My computer guru set up the system for me. There's this MS-DOS icon on my desktop. Double-clicking that gets me a Win command prompt; I cd to TAPCIS, call up TAP6, and I'm up and running. (From the same Win prompt, I can go to WP5.1, or to any other DOS-based program I've got.) I read, write, and edit in the TAP screen (I don't handle e-mail with WP or any other outside editor).

I don't get a mess of binary attachments because I've got TAP set to bring me only headers on such; most are spam, and they get routinely deleted. If I've been alerted that someone's sending a photo or some other document in a non-plaintext format--i.e., something TAP can't see/read--I have TAP fetch it and can then leave TAP and open the attachment with whatever software's appropriate.

Whether all this would apply with your Win version, I don't know.

--DS

JerryWThompson
May 10th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Yes, I'm still using TapCis and Recon to retrieve and manage my eMail.

Thru 15:56:51 pm Fri 09 May'08 (CDT) everything worked fine per ""the good 'ole days"" (connect speeds mostly between 45 and 49 Kbaud)

This morning 05:39:28 am Sat 10 May'08 (CDT) the first thing to come up on the screen was a line
"" UQKT2 an7.dfw28.du.uu.net "" {{some time 'an7' is/was 'an8'}} followed a couple of lines down with "" Login: ""

TapCis "hit" the modem/system about 5-6 time with "CR" and then times out with the message "" Timeout waiting for "Name:" ""

I've tried both local numbers (817 685 2737 and 817 416 8400) with same results half a dozen or so times between 05:39 and 07:06 (CDT)

!!HELP!! (smile)

I assume/hope that I only need to make some script change somewhere. ANY wisdom, guesses??

THANKS!!!

Jerry W Thompson
JerryWThompson@CompuServe.Com
Ft Worth, Texas 76109

Judy G. Russell
May 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I assume/hope that I only need to make some script change somewhere. ANY wisdom, guesses??Reaching FAR back into the recesses of memory, I recall that type of error message being a misconfigured node, and not being something you can address by a change in Tapcis. Your best bet is to try a different node (probably a non-local number) that may not be affected. You may also want to report the problem on the Compuserve Classic Help forum (http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-cssoftware&redirCnt=1), though I'm not at all sure the folks running that forum have the contacts to pass the report on to any more.

In addition, if you haven't done so before, it is time to configure your Compuserve account so you can retrieve mail by pop3 in addition to dial-up. That way at least you can read your messages via a service such as Mail2Web (http://www.mail2web.com/) even if your local nodes are out. I'm sure you can get directions for that on the Compuserve Classic Help forum (http://community.compuserve.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ws-cssoftware&redirCnt=1).

Jeff
May 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
What judy said, and reaching just as far back into what's left of my memory, the giveaway is the end of this; the "uu.net" part. UQKT2 an7.dfw28.du.uu.net
That indicates a misconfigured node. Neither you, Tap, nor anyone here can do anything about it. You can complain to CIS customer disservice in Bombay, but good luck with that.

- Jeff

Dodi Schultz
May 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM
What was happening earlier today wasn't the fault of TAPCIS (or any other access software), and it wasn't any single node; it was happening, for example, on all THREE New York City nodes. (I couldn't get online at all, either via TAPCIS or with my Firefox, which uses the same dial-up nodes.) The problem was with the CIS server--confirmed by a call to them. (FYI, the two toll-free tech numbers are 800-848-8990 and 800-944-9871.) They promised it would be fixed within "two or three hours." It was.

--DS

JerryWThompson
May 10th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Indeed, by or before 15:04:11 pm (CDT Sat 10 May'08) the node was back up!!!

I am able to read my eMail via CompuSeve 4.0.2 ((grin) which identifies itself to my operating system (Windows XP SP2) as CS3.Exe) but I have yet to discovered the 'magic formula' to convert them (eMails) to Recon 2.50a format where I have between 10 and 15-20 years worth of stored/archived/packrated messages from various list servers and people. {{(smile) please don't tell my wife}}.

I've filed the tech phone numbers for future reference. Thanks!

Thanks for the assistance!!!

JerryWThompson
JerryWThompson@CompuServe.Com
FtWorth, Texas 76109-5337

Judy G. Russell
May 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Indeed, by or before 15:04:11 pm (CDT Sat 10 May'08) the node was back up!!!Excellent. You still might want to consider configuring your account to use pop3 as a backup option for the future; it gives you one more line of attack if you need it (even the ability to read your email from a computer that doesn't have any CS software installed at all).