Judy Madnick
June 20th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I'll fall for these similar definitions (a trap, most likely!):

9. Having a brisk or casual attitude.

20. Casual.

Judy

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

endash@verizon.net
June 20th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I'll opt for numbers 5 and 7.

-- Dick Weltz

On 06/20/14, Efrem Mallach<emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:

Fellow Dixonarists,

You will find below 20 definitions for BRISANT. One of them comes from a recognized dictionary. The others were concocted by you and your fellow players.  Submissions were reformatted when necessary so that all begin with an upper-case letter, end with a period, context precedes the definition in square brackets, and italics are indicated by underscores before and after. Definitions are in descending order by character count. That may differ slightly from order by visual appearance if your computer displays e-mail in a proportionately spaced font.

Please vote for two you feel are most likely to be correct or like for any other reason. You may vote for your own definition, but you will not receive a point for that vote. The deadline for voting is in about 36 hours: 9 pm on Saturday, June 21, U.S. eastern time. I think that corresponds to the following dates and times, but please confirm the conversion if you are in doubt.

8 pm, same date, U.S. Central Daylight Time
7 pm, same date, U.S. Mountain Daylight Time
6 pm, same date, U.S. Pacific Daylight Time
2 am, Sunday, June 22, British Summer Time
3 am, Sunday, June 22, Continental Europe Summer Time
11 am, Sunday, June 22, Australian Eastern Standard Time

You are welcome to vote even if you did not submit a definition. In fact, you're welcome to vote even if you've never played before. Full rules, should new players or anyone else want them, can be found at:

http://www.dixonary.net/game-rules-and-advice/rules .

Good luck!

On a separate topic, a few players asked about the NPR puzzle that I mentioned in a previous message. One principle I learned in my early days as a teacher is that, for every student who asks a question, there are several more who have the same question but didn't ask it. Assuming that principle holds here as well, I thought I'd explain it here for everyone.

The puzzle is a regular five-minute feature on (U.S.) National Public Radio's "Weekend Edition Sunday" show. It's run by Will Shortz, better known as the crossword editor of the _New York Times_. Each week, Shortz offers a puzzle (not a crossword) for listeners to answer. Answers are submitted online, with the deadline always 3 pm U.S. Eastern Time on the Thursday after the puzzle was given. One correct answer is chosen at random and its submitter is invited onto the program (by telephone) the following week. (Taping typically takes place on Friday.) That listener answers additional puzzle questions on the air. Following that, a new puzzle is presented for the following week, and the cycle repeats.

You can read more about this puzzle and listen to recent shows at http://www.npr.org/puzzle .

(I don't know if entries are accepted from outside the U.S. If they're not, I suppose one could invent a location and get a U.S. phone number from Skype or Google, but I'm not sure it's worth it.)

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

1. [Bot.] horse-tail; also the trade-name of a pot scourer [Fr. _briller_ to shine; equisitum arvense used to be used as a pot scourer: its silica content makes it scabrid]

2. [Now hist.] An officer appointed in the Channel islands of Jersey and Guernsey to investigate thefts and minor offences, and otherwise maintain good order..

3. A measure of the rapidity with which an explosive develops maximum pressure; hence, the shattering capability of an explosive.

4. A style of modern art where lines and figures are broken and split in asymmetric patterns.

5. Characterized by stylish affectation in speech or writing; pretentious, lofty.

6. Binding on the end of a rope to prevent fraying.

7. A white, flaky rind on a round of soft cheese.

8. An inferior or spurious brand of champagne.

9. Having a brisk or casual attitude.

10. Sitting with the knees together.

11. Loyal, faithful, trustworthy.

12. Acutely insightful; incisive.

13. A mischievous water spirit.

14. Extremely loud; deafening.

15. Thin; watered down; weak.

16. Abrasive; eroding.

17. Fearless daring.

18. Clamorous; loud.

19. [Fr.] Fluffy.

20. Casual.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com).