PDA

View Full Version : RE: [Dixonary] Round 2512, PARIES results

Judy Madnick
May 28th, 2014, 09:48 AM
And after I voted, I found this: "the wall of an organ or bodily cavity," so I wondered whether "7. [Law] A shared wall between two separately owned buildings" might have been correct. :-)

We experienced a medical emergency in 1994 on a flight from Tel Aviv to New York. We were 45 minutes out of Tel Aviv when a woman appeared to be having a heart attack. So back to Tel Aviv we went, refueled, and then experienced bad weather, resulting in an unscheduled stop in Montreal. So an 11-hour (plus or minus) flight was 18 hours in length. UGH! We never did learn how the woman mentioned above made out.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

Original message
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com;
Dated: 5/28/2014 10:00:34 AM
Subject: [Dixonary] Round 2512, PARIES results

Fellow Dixonarists,

Yesterday was my first experience with flight diversion due to a medical emergency. A passenger who had recently had surgery experienced problems. Fortunately, there was an emergency room physician on board who stabilized her until we could land in Las Vegas, where she was expected to do well. The Las Vegas EMTs were extremely professional and efficient. The most time-consuming part of the entire process was the paperwork to confirm that the oxygen tanks and other equipment that were used in flight were properly replaced. I rebooked myself onto a later flight from Minneapolis to Boston. Unfortunately, my suitcase didn't have a mobile phone so it couldn't do the same ....

Back to the topic at hand: PARIES has a few meanings. One of them, found in Webster's Revised Unabridged as well as other places, is "the triangular middle part of each segment of the shell of a barnacle." That was definition 12, which nobody picked.

Paul Keating's partition wall (#7) led all entries with seven natural points, so he will deal the next word. Dick Weltz's insurance clauses (#14) had five points, so he is traditionally considered the true "winnah." Millie Morgan's points on an elliptical orbit (#11) followed with four.

Full results:

1. [obs.] Press; throng. From: D. Widdis. Voted for by: None. Voted: 7, 10. Score: 0.

2. A non-monetary bonus. From: G. Stevens. Voted for by: Kornelis, Morgan. Voted: 3, 10. Score: 2.

3. A state of equilibrium. From: H. Kornelis. Voted for by: Abell, Bourne, Stevens. Voted: 2, 11. Score: 3.

4. [rare] St. Elmo's Fire. From: D. Cunningham. Voted for by: None. Voted: 7, 8. Score: 0.

5. [obs.] A disease of the bone. From: D. Schultz. Voted for by: None. Voted: 8, 11. Score: 0.

6. Parts of the ocean below 6000 metres. From: J. Madnick. Voted for by: None. Voted: 13, 14. Score: 0.

7. [Law] A shared wall between two separately owned buildings. From: P. Keating. Voted for by: Barrs, Cunningham, Hart, Keating, Lodge, Morgan, Weltz, Widdis. Voted: 7, 13. Score (not counting self-vote): 7.

8. Producing offspring [Lat. _parere_ to bring forth; see parent]. From: J. Barrs. Voted for by: Barrs, Cunningham, Schultz. Score (not counting self-vote): 2.

9. A type of broad-brimmed felt hat adorned with tassels or bells. From: M. Shefler. Voted for by: Graham, Weltz. Voted: 15, 16. Score: 2.

10. An ancient Roman measure of land, about three-fifths of an acre. From: S. Naylor. Voted for by: Stevens, Widdis. Voted: 11, 16. Score: 2.

11. In an elliptic orbit, the midway points between perigee and apogee. From: M. Morgan. Voted for by: Hart, Kornelis, Naylor, Schultz. Voted: 2, 7. Score: 4.

12. The triangular middle part of each segment of the shell of a barnacle. From: Several real dictionaries. Voted for by: None. Did not vote. Score: D0.

13. An inflammation caused by the bite of the Tasmanian bed bug (_Cimex lectularius_). From: S. Graham. Voted for by: Keating, Madnick. Voted: 9, 15. Score: 2.

14. Clauses in an insurance contract establishing share proportions among multiple beneficiaries. From: D. Weltz. Voted for by: Abell, Bourne, Hale, Lodge, Madnick. Voted: 7, 9. Score: 5.

15. The spores of many varieties of fungi - often sterile, or having a very short span of reproductive viability. From: K. Hale. Voted for by: Graham, Shefler. Voted: 14, 16. Score: 2.

16. In the ancient Roman calendar (Julian and pre-Julian): the second of the three marker days in each month, notionally the day of the first quarter moon. From: T. Lodge. Voted for by: Hale, Naylor, Shefler. Voted: 7, 14. Score: 2.

No definitions received from the following players who did, however, vote:

T. Abell voted 3, 14. Score: 0.

T. Bourne voted 3, 14. Score: 0.

J. Hart voted 7, 11. Score: 0.

All yours, Paul!

Efrem, Retired Dealer

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

Jim Hart
May 29th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Judy, that was the only definition I found so I was hoping that it might
extend to other kinds of walls but alas no. I should have sat this round
out after all.

Jim

--