PDA

View Full Version : Katrina - First Hand - Outstanding Article

Dick K
September 21st, 2005, 03:04 PM
There is an extraordinarily moving account of the Katrina aftermath by a Louisiana surgeon here (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/512725). (You may have to register with Medscape to read this article, but believe me; it is worth it.)

The story includes a blistering on-the-spot indictment of FEMA's inaction and bureaucratic ineptitude. Refreshingly, the doctor just reports the facts and does not get into political namecalling.

Judy G. Russell
September 22nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Good grief, Dick. What a nightmare that poor man faced.

For those who aren't registered with Medscape, all I can say is Dick is absolutely right: it's worth registering to read this.

Excerpts:

"I received word that the FEMA official said that they were pulling out. Until this point, FEMA was providing no medical assistance, but they were helping to obtain transportation for these people. The transportation was inadequate to say the least, and now they were pulling out? I approached the official and asked him whether it was true that they were pulling out and if so why. I was told that yes they were leaving, and he was unsure why. His comment was that the decision had been made by "people above my pay grade" as he shrugs his shoulders. Rumor was that shootings in New Orleans had spurred someone higher up in FEMA to pull back. This was ridiculous. We were 1.5 miles outside of New Orleans proper. At that time, we had no security problem. We did not have a security problem until later that day when transportation slowed almost to a standstill. No more FEMA, very little transportation. No coordination. It is Thursday -- 3 days post storm!"

"Why did FEMA leave us? I was told "off-the-record" that the official statement would be this:

When city planners (Dr. Maestri) had discussed this doomsday scenario in New Orleans, FEMA officials had told them that the city would have to hold out for 48 hours; then the Feds would be on the ground to provide support. The excuse for taking so long was going to be that the hurricane hit on Monday, but because of the 17th Street canal break which happened Tuesday night-Wednesday morning, this would be classified as an evolving disaster. Not until the lake equilibrated with the water in the city (hence not until the city was 80% underwater) and the water stopped rising did FEMA consider to be on the clock. This did not happen until early Thursday morning."

"No FEMA. Parked my car and saw the FEMA official. "Y'all are back finally" was my comment. "Not officially," he said. "We are here to collect the bodies." What? His comment was that he was not officially on the ground and that they were there only to collect bodies -- not for other support. No transportation coordination. Great, I thought -- thank you FEMA!"

"One of the new doctors went to the airport to see whether all of these new doctors and supplies could be of use. He returned with a grim face, saying that the airport was atrocious and that he had been told by FEMA that we could provide no medical care because we were not government-licensed physicians. I spoke to EOC/DHH in Baton Rouge (Jimmy Guidry) who was extremely upset at the FEMA Bureaucracy. FEMA denied help at the airport from well-staffed local doctors even though people were in need. Bureaucracy at its best. We could not even place an IV on the patients. The same patients who I had been caring for for days. What nonsense. The 2 hospitals Ochsner and EJGH pulled out at this time because there were no patients left and FEMA at the airport refused assistance because they were not government doctors."

I swear the article as a whole will make you cry.

ndebord
September 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Good grief, Dick. What a nightmare that poor man faced.

For those who aren't registered with Medscape, all I can say is Dick is absolutely right: it's worth registering to read this.

I swear the article as a whole will make you cry.

Judy,

Was there not something in the press to the effect that when FEMA was folded into DHS that they established a first rule: Everything had to cleared in terms of "homeland security" before any other action could be taken? A real official check-off kind of thing????

Lindsey
September 22nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
No need to register, actually; you can get login credentials from bugmenot.com.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 22nd, 2005, 09:47 PM
I don't remember any such rule, Nick. But read the article... it's worth it.

Wayne Scott
September 23rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
Dick, I read this before I saw your message. I regularly spend quite a bit of time in MedScape, of course.
This is excellent reporting, IMAO.

Wayne

Jeff
September 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
No need to register, actually; you can get login credentials from bugmenot.com.

--Lindsey

Thank you for that!

- Jeff

Dick K
September 24th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I regularly spend quite a bit of time in MedScape, of course.Wayne -

Since my elder daughter is a production manager at Medscape (it was she who called this article to my attention), I am glad to hear you are a regular viewer!

Judy G. Russell
September 24th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Wayne's not the only one. In all my various bouts with all my various ailments, I've found Medscape to be an absolute lifesaver -- sometimes literally. My compliments to your daughter!

Dick K
September 24th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Wayne's not the only one. In all my various bouts with all my various ailments, I've found Medscape to be an absolute lifesaver -- sometimes literally. My compliments to your daughter!Judy -

Thank you! I shall pass your comments on to Jennifer, and I am sure they will mean a lot to her.

Lindsey
September 24th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Thank you for that!
Since I learned about it, that's always the first place I look when I'm told I need to register to see the content!

--Lindsey

Dick K
September 24th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Since I learned about it, that's always the first place I look when I'm told I need to register to see the content!
You can semi-automate the process with a Bugmenot extension for Firefox.

Lindsey
September 24th, 2005, 11:10 PM
You can semi-automate the process with a Bugmenot extension for Firefox.
I'm sure the Firefox users will appreciate that tip!

--Lindsey

Wayne Scott
September 26th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Richard: Please mention me to Jennifer as well. I keep up to date through MedScape and it is a great way for this senile physician to get CME credit as well. My license stays in good standing because of MedScape. That may or may not be a good thing to others, but it makes me happy.

Wayne