PDA

View Full Version : First Place!

Mike Landi
September 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM
:eek:

How about 'dem Yanks??? First place! They win 2-1 and Boston chokes on Tampa. Those D-Rays can, occasionally, play tough and they did today!

First place by half a game.

Who'd 'da thunk it?

I heard a stat yesterday, don't know if I have this right, but since the Yankees started 11-19, they have the best record in baseball.

I certainly hope the bad games are behind them.

Judy G. Russell
September 22nd, 2005, 10:18 AM
:eek:

How about 'dem Yanks??? First place! They win 2-1 and Boston chokes on Tampa. Those D-Rays can, occasionally, play tough and they did today!

First place by half a game.

Who'd 'da thunk it?
I was driving home from my class last night when (a) Tino caught that last ball and (b) they announced the final Red Sox score. I thought I was going to drive off the road. It's hard to control the car with both fists shooting up into the air!

Mike Landi
September 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM
I was driving home from my class last night when (a) Tino caught that last ball and (b) they announced the final Red Sox score. I thought I was going to drive off the road. It's hard to control the car with both fists shooting up into the air!

I was just stunned. The D-Rays exploded on the Sox, and they knew we were winning a close game. The mood in that clubhouse must have been black.

Now, can we hold the lead??

Is Moose okay? We will soon find out.

Judy G. Russell
September 22nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Now, can we hold the lead?? Is Moose okay? We will soon find out.Answers: Yes. And YES! One full game lead and Mussina looked good.

ndebord
September 22nd, 2005, 10:28 PM
Answers: Yes. And YES! One full game lead and Mussina looked good.

Judy,

Moose looks fantastic. One of the announcers recalled that other curveball pitchers who came off of the disabled list, also did well. Something about the wear and tear of pitching a curveball and how a rest can refresh a pitcher's stuff. Moose's knuckle curve and change were fantastic.

But Al Leiter. Wow! What a Jeckyl and Hyde performance. A 1-2-3 7th inning and then he coughed up a 7-1 lead in the 8th and they come back to 7-5. Add in that 9th inning homerun by Mora to make it 7-6 and it was another nailbiter.

But...still....ONE FULL GAME UP ON BOSTON!

Judy G. Russell
September 23rd, 2005, 08:52 AM
But Al Leiter. Wow! What a Jeckyl and Hyde performance. A 1-2-3 7th inning and then he coughed up a 7-1 lead in the 8th"When she was good she was very very good, and when she was bad she was awful..."

ndebord
September 23rd, 2005, 10:39 AM
"When she was good she was very very good, and when she was bad she was awful..."

Judy,

Geez. I didn't know you knew my old Sicilian, Black Irish girlfriend?

<g>

Judy G. Russell
September 23rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
I didn't know you knew my old Sicilian, Black Irish girlfriend?Sicilian and Black Irish? Oh my... can you imagine the arguments in that household???

ndebord
September 23rd, 2005, 11:58 PM
Sicilian and Black Irish? Oh my... can you imagine the arguments in that household???

Judy,

Can I IMAGINE? You'd better darn well figure that I can more than imagine! We lived together for 5 years before she slept with one of my best friends in my own bed. (I caught her in flagrante delicto) <g> (She was hot and fun and aggravating....all in one package!)

Now ya gotta add in my French, German and Swedish genes to get the full package! (I've always been reluctant to admit making mistakes!)

Judy G. Russell
September 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Now ya gotta add in my French, German and Swedish genes to get the full package! (I've always been reluctant to admit making mistakes!)My German, Irish, Scottish and Welsh genes would describe that as "stubborn."

ndebord
September 25th, 2005, 12:09 AM
My German, Irish, Scottish and Welsh genes would describe that as "stubborn."

Judy,

Nah...with genes like yours, you'd just say that was "normal" behavior!

<g>

ndebord
September 25th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I

Now, can we hold the lead??

Mike,

The answer is NO. We are now tied for first place. Saturday's game was bad. Wright wasn't right and they had to put in Small to pitch 6 2/3 and Sturtz for 1 1/3 at the end. I mean Wright gave up all 7 runs in the 7-4 loss in the first inning!

(They never shudda taken Small out of the starting rotation. He is their good luck charm I fear.)

<sigh>

Judy G. Russell
September 25th, 2005, 02:39 PM
with genes like yours, you'd just say that was "normal" behavior!With genes like mine, stubborn is normal.

Judy G. Russell
September 25th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Wright gave up all 7 runs in the 7-4 loss in the first inning!It was sooooooo ugly watching Wright. But at least Wang held firm today. I swear we are gonna go into those last three games tied... and then split the first two.

ndebord
September 25th, 2005, 06:53 PM
With genes like mine, stubborn is normal.

So, that means our two families would either get along famously or fight like cats and dogs!

<g>

ndebord
September 25th, 2005, 06:58 PM
It was sooooooo ugly watching Wright. But at least Wang held firm today. I swear we are gonna go into those last three games tied... and then split the first two.

Judy,

I'm worried about being on the road and having to play Baltimore after both we and Boston beat up on them. Small tomorrow against one of their better pitchers, Lopez. Tuesday Johnson vs Chen, on Wednesday, Mussina vs Cabrera and who knows on Thursday.

(How did we end up with so many four game sets on the road at the end of the season?)

At least Boston has Toronto.

Judy G. Russell
September 25th, 2005, 09:16 PM
So, that means our two families would either get along famously or fight like cats and dogs!Or alternate between the two!

Wayne Scott
September 26th, 2005, 04:02 PM
GO ANGELS!

Judy G. Russell
September 26th, 2005, 04:40 PM
GO ANGELS!And where would you like them to go? I have a few suggestions...

ndebord
September 26th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Mike,

Joy. The Yankees are winning big:

Top 4th: NY Yankees
- D. Jeter walked, H. Matsui scored, R. Cano to third, J. Flaherty to second
- A. Rodriguez doubled to deep left, J. Flaherty and R. Cano scored, D. Jeter to third
- J. Giambi homered to deep right center, D. Jeter and A. Rodriguez scored

6-0 in the Fifth inning, Johnson doing good and Giambi, that streaky hitter, seems to have recovered from his injuries!

Judy G. Russell
September 26th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I listened to that inning on the way home from class tonight. I giggled when Jeter walked, laughed when ARod doubled in Flaherty and Cano, and howled when Giambi homered. Now if only Toronto will do its bit (whenever that game is played!)...

ndebord
September 27th, 2005, 01:06 AM
I listened to that inning on the way home from class tonight. I giggled when Jeter walked, laughed when ARod doubled in Flaherty and Cano, and howled when Giambi homered. Now if only Toronto will do its bit (whenever that game is played!)...

Judy,

Wow! Almost the full reign of emotion. Guess we should add in...and cried when Embree lost the shutout and gave up 3...count them...3 runs in the 9th inning.

Da Bronx Bombers, 1/2 game in front of the Beantown Idiots, who were rained out tonight and have to play a doubleheader tomorrow (Wakefield in the afternoon and Schilling at night). Mussina goes against Chen (sp), who throws slow, slower and slowest.

<g>

Judy G. Russell
September 27th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Guess we should add in...and cried when Embree lost the shutout and gave up 3...count them...3 runs in the 9th inning.Nah, I missed the ninth and never saw those. By the time I saw the score again it was 11-3 Final.

Dan in Saint Louis
September 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM
And the team with the highest win/lose average of all 30 teams is..........?

ndebord
September 27th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Dan,

Drumrolll please!

The Gashouse Gang!

<g>

Judy G. Russell
September 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM
And the team with the highest win/lose average of all 30 teams is..........?Oh picky picky picky...

Mike Landi
September 27th, 2005, 08:34 PM

Some team that was shut out in the World Series last year? <g,d&r>

Dan in Saint Louis
September 27th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Some team that was shut out in the World Series last year? <g,d&r>
No GDR needed -- I didn't say I was a big fan, just reminding folks that baseball is played in the midwest, too<G>!

Judy G. Russell
September 27th, 2005, 09:56 PM
baseball is played in the midwest, too<G>!Gasp! No. You're kidding me, right? Really? What a surprise...

Mike Landi
September 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM
No GDR needed -- I didn't say I was a big fan, just reminding folks that baseball is played in the midwest, too<G>!

Hey, the ChiSox had the best AL record this year, until September. I wonder if St. Louis is afraid of October! <g>

Dan in Saint Louis
September 28th, 2005, 01:52 PM
I wonder if St. Louis is afraid of October! <g>
The Cardiac Cardinals have an unerring ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Mike Landi
September 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM
The Cardiac Cardinals have an unerring ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Hmmmm,

Red Birds, Red Sox, seems to be a common theme here. :D

Judy G. Russell
September 28th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Let us hope our red birds do the same thing!

chm
September 29th, 2005, 03:24 PM
The Anaheim (okay, Los Angeles...grumble, grumble) Angels will win the World Series.

Clinched the American West this week.

Now, as for the old hometown favorite of my childhood, those powerful White Sox.... Will be a tough team to beat.

Carolyn in Orange County, CA

chm
September 29th, 2005, 03:30 PM
GO ANGELS!

Hey, Wayne, was it smelling like chicken cooking out your way yesterday? I was thinking that the 70,000 chickens which burned up in that Riverside County chicken ranch would have that familiar smell of chicken cooking.

It's entirely too windy here today - not a good sign.

It's good that neither of us live anywhere near the Valley, with those fires they're having today.

Carolyn in OC, CA

chm
September 29th, 2005, 03:38 PM
And where would you like them to go?

Straight to the top!

We're #1, we're #1...!

C'mon, Wayne, join me...

I'm way overdue for an Angels hat. Hey, I've got a couple of Angels pennants!

Go Halos.

Damn fool grandmother in OC,

Carolyn

chm
September 29th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Ha! Yeah.

The Cards have been great the past couple of years. My second favorite team, my hometown team, the Cubs, just couldn't handle them. The traditional Cards-Cubs rivalry's been getting a good work-out.

Now to climb over the White Sox...

Cubs/Angels Fan,

Carolyn

Judy G. Russell
September 29th, 2005, 09:43 PM
The Anaheim (okay, Los Angeles...grumble, grumble) Angels will win the World Series.Angels... Angels... what sport do they play again...? (They wouldn't even be in the running for the wild card if they didn't play in a lousy division!)

chm
October 7th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Angels... Angels... what sport do they play again...? (They wouldn't even be in the running for the wild card if they didn't play in a lousy division!)
Then why did the Angels make the Yankees look like fools in the last game? Jeez, even some of your best guys.

Great game. I loved it.

Swinging a stupid rally monkey while trying to whack my Halo thundersticks together and wave my red official Angels pennant all at the same time. Not easy!

Go Angels! Go Halos!

Carolyn

PS: I hope the game isn't rained out tonight!

Judy G. Russell
October 7th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Swinging a stupid rally monkey while trying to whack my Halo thundersticks together and wave my red official Angels pennant all at the same time. Not easy!Is that legal? Even in California?

chm
October 8th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Is that legal? Even in California?
Judy, I would guess it's only possible online.

I would if I could!

chm

Judy G. Russell
October 8th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Now all we need is the weather to cooperate!

What's so weird is that it has been absolutely bone dry since early July. Not one single solitary rainy day in weeks. So when do we get rain??? Now????