PDA

View Full Version : SeaMonkey 1.0 Alpha release

Peter Creasey
September 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I see where SeaMonkey 1.0 Alpha has been released for download and installation. There seems to be a good bit of emphasis in the documentation that this is still a test version.

What is the consensus as to when would be the best time for a fairly casual Mozilla Suite user to transition to SeaMonkey? Not yet, right? Can you speculate as to when or what version?

Dan in Saint Louis
September 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM
What is the consensus as to when would be the best time for a fairly casual Mozilla Suite user to transition to SeaMonkey? Not yet, right? Can you speculate as to when or what version?
RC1 (Release Candidate 1) or the actual public release.

Peter Creasey
September 20th, 2005, 04:23 PM
>> RC1 (Release Candidate 1) or the actual public release. <<

Dan, Thanks! For some reason, I am not familiar with the "Release Candidate" designation. I had thought that once packages reached Version 1.0 or higher, they were past the testing stage.

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I had thought that once packages reached Version 1.0 or higher, they were past the testing stage.Not when the word "Alpha" is attached. After Alpha comes Beta, after Beta comes Release Candidate, after Release Candidate you might consider shifting.

Peter Creasey
September 20th, 2005, 08:16 PM
>> After Alpha comes Beta, after Beta comes Release Candidate, after Release Candidate you might consider shifting. <<

Judy, thanks! As you say, I should have been focusing on "Alpha" rather than "Version 1.0". So, I see you are saying I should wait until _after_ "Release Candidate". This is good to know.

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Release candidate is just that -- a candidate. It's still pre-release, meaning prior to the time when the developers are confident that they've killed as many bugs as they reasonably can before releasing the software to an unsuspecting public. Those who don't love living on the cutting edge should wait for the final release of anything.