PDA

View Full Version : Printing from IE6

Lindsey
September 20th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I'm hoping someone here can give me some help with printing in IE6. I normally use Mozilla, but our new Fedline Web application requires IE. I'm trying to do some screen prints to use for training, but I can't get IE to print anything but the current frame, even when I select the print option "Print frames as layed out on screen" (as opposed to "Only the selected frame" -- which appears to be the default -- and "All frames individually". Also, it doesn't include the graphical parts of the layout, which means it excludes items import to training documentation like buttons. I can't find any option that might include those. Highly frustrating!

This PC uses Windows XP Pro, by the way.

The Federal Reserve is highly restrictive about which workstations are allowed to access its web site, so I can't run this from my own PC workstation, where I could use SnagIt or IrfanView. I guess, if nothing else will do the trick, i could install a trial version of SnagIt for long enough to do the screen captures. But mostly we're trying to leave the Fedline workstation clean of all but the software needed for that application.

One other IE question: How do I get the program to launch in something other than a window the size of a postage stamp? I can't find anything that will launch it by default in a maximized window, and I'm tired of having to hit the button at the top of the page before I can read any significant part of the screen. The one on my own office desktop opens maximized, but so far as I know, it's been that way from the time it was installed. I don't recall doing anything to make it display that way. If it makes a difference, my workstation is running Windows 2000 Professional.

Thanks!

--Lindsey

Dan in Saint Louis
September 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I can't get IE to print anything but the current frameWould a snapshot made by {Alt-PrtScrn} be satisfactory?

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2005, 05:50 PM
The University of Kentucky website says:

Open Microsoft Internet Explorer Maximized

Many people ask how to get Microsoft Internet Explorer to always open maximized. The problem with this is that there just doesn't appear to be any absolutely foolproof way to do this. One method that works reasonably well is to run IE, then hold down Ctrl + Shift + Alt while you use the mouse to size the window as you want it.

Now, still holding down Ctrl + Shift + Alt, click the Close box (the X in the upper right corner of the window) to close it. IE will now open maximized -- usually. If you open IE from something that calls for a Normal (rather than Maximized) window, IE will take on the new size. This usually happens when you click Start, Windows Update.

Lindsey
September 20th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Would a snapshot made by {Alt-PrtScrn} be satisfactory?
That's a thought, but it wouldn't include parts of the screen that you had to scroll downward or sideways to see.

--Lindsey

Lindsey
September 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM
The problem with this is that there just doesn't appear to be any absolutely foolproof way to do this. . . .

Now, still holding down Ctrl + Shift + Alt, click the Close box (the X in the upper right corner of the window) to close it. IE will now open maximized -- usually.
And people around here wonder why I go into rants about Microsoft software...

Thanks! I'll give that a try. If I can get my hands properly co-ordinated, that is. The directions sound a little like a game of Twister.

--Lindsey

Gary Maltzen
September 21st, 2005, 01:15 PM
How do I get the program to launch in something other than a window the size of a postage stamp?
Create a shortcut to the designated site and set the shortcut properties to open in a maximized window
Does the Fedline workstation have Paint? If so..

open Paint
open IE6, maximized, displaying the desired page set
press Alt-PrtSc
switch to Paint
File->New
Edit->Paste
Save the resulting image
You should now have a complete image of the screen with the maximized IE6.

Lindsey
September 21st, 2005, 06:00 PM
Create a shortcut to the designated site and set the shortcut properties to open in a maximized window
Does the Fedline workstation have Paint?
I already have a shortcut, but I didn't see any way in the Properties settings to tell it to open in a maximized window. I'll check again.

I doubt that Paint is installed on that workstation, but I'll double-check.

Thanks!

Oh, I see the problem with the shortcut by comparing the shortcuts on my own desktop. The properties settings for IE shortcuts are not the same as those for other Windows applications. It's not as simple as just making a shortcut for the URL; the connection has to be made with a special connection utility through a Fed-configured VPN device, and that's what the shortcut on the Fedline PC is set up to do.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 22nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
And people around here wonder why I go into rants about Microsoft software...It doesn't surprise me at all. Microsoft makes me so angry I could spit on so many things...

ndebord
September 22nd, 2005, 03:08 PM
I'm hoping someone here can give me some help with printing in IE6. I normally use Mozilla, but our new Fedline Web application requires IE. I'm trying to do some screen prints to use for training, but I can't get IE to print anything but the current frame, even when I select the print option "Print frames as layed out on screen" (as opposed to "Only the selected frame" -- which appears to be the default -- and "All frames individually". Also, it doesn't include the graphical parts of the layout, which means it excludes items import to training documentation like buttons. I can't find any option that might include those. Highly frustrating!

This PC uses Windows XP Pro, by the way.

The Federal Reserve is highly restrictive about which workstations are allowed to access its web site, so I can't run this from my own PC workstation, where I could use SnagIt or IrfanView. I guess, if nothing else will do the trick, i could install a trial version of SnagIt for long enough to do the screen captures. But mostly we're trying to leave the Fedline workstation clean of all but the software needed for that application.

One other IE question: How do I get the program to launch in something other than a window the size of a postage stamp? I can't find anything that will launch it by default in a maximized window, and I'm tired of having to hit the button at the top of the page before I can read any significant part of the screen. The one on my own office desktop opens maximized, but so far as I know, it's been that way from the time it was installed. I don't recall doing anything to make it display that way. If it makes a difference, my workstation is running Windows 2000 Professional.

Thanks!

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

One question for you. Have you tried changing the User Agent string in Mozilla to IE? Sometimes that is enough to fool a site into believing that you are running IE when you're not.

Lindsey
September 22nd, 2005, 05:03 PM
One question for you. Have you tried changing the User Agent string in Mozilla to IE? Sometimes that is enough to fool a site into believing that you are running IE when you're not.
Mozilla is not an option on this workstation.

--Lindsey

ndebord
September 22nd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Mozilla is not an option on this workstation.

--Lindsey

Lindsey,

Workstation? As in a network locked into certain apps?

Lindsey
September 22nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
Workstation? As in a network locked into certain apps?
More or less, yes.

--Lindsey

Dick K
September 23rd, 2005, 12:46 AM
Also, it doesn't include the graphical parts of the layout, which means it excludes items import to training documentation like buttons. I can't find any option that might include those. Highly frustrating!
In IE6, Tools|Internet Options..., and click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down to Printing, and check the "Print background colors and images" checkbox.

That may help.

Lindsey
September 23rd, 2005, 06:18 PM
In IE6, Tools|Internet Options..., and click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down to Printing, and check the "Print background colors and images" checkbox.

That may help.
Ah! Thanks, I'll try that. I seem to remember having to do that with Mozilla, but I can't remember in what context.

--Lindsey