PDA

View Full Version : [Dixonary] OT: Calendar Software

Guerri Stevens
September 21st, 2013, 05:30 AM
I am using ancient calendar software, namely the calendar that is part
of the old DOS WordPerfect Office product. I suspect it is time to start
looking at other calendar software because sooner or later I will have
to replace this computer and whatever the replacement turns out to be is
unlikely to support old DOS applications.

Here are some of my requirements:

Must be capable of loading on boot up
Support for task list, appointments, and notes
Ability to mark completed tasks and to delete and archive
appointments and completed tasks
Support for recurring appointments and tasks such as "every
Wednesday", the nth Monday of every month, the nth day of every month,
the first of every month, the last of every month (the calendar software
figures out the last date), combinations such as "the 8th, 16th, and
24th" of each month, specification of starting and ending dates

Those were off the top of my head, but I can probably think of more.
Ideally these kinds of things should be able to be combined into formulas.

My current calendar is pretty flexible. There are some things that it
can't do, though, such as having recurring appointments at intervals
larger than 30 days (i.e. every 90 days). There is a workaround trick,
but it cannot handle all situations. So it would be handy to be able to
say "every 180 days", for instance.

I am running Windows Vista at the moment, and am probably not likely to
switch to an Apple product.

--
Guerri

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Judy Madnick
September 21st, 2013, 07:09 AM
Take a look at Chaos Software's Time & Chaos -- www.chaossoftware.com. I've been using it since approx. 1996. If you want to integrate email, they have Intellect, which is what I have been using since its introduction. Their customer support is great -- free...and you speak with one of two or three people, often with no hold time. I started with the same program you're using and had the same basic requirements as you when I switched. Another preference was having appointments, contacts, and tasks on one screen. The Classic View offers that. Send me an email if you want more info.

Judy's

Sent from my iPod

On Sep 21, 2013, at 6:30 AM, Guerri Stevens <guerri (AT) guerristevens (DOT) com> wrote:

> I am using ancient calendar software, namely the calendar that is part of the old DOS WordPerfect Office product. I suspect it is time to start looking at other calendar software because sooner or later I will have to replace this computer and whatever the replacement turns out to be is unlikely to support old DOS applications.
>
> Here are some of my requirements:
>
> Must be capable of loading on boot up
> Support for task list, appointments, and notes
> Ability to mark completed tasks and to delete and archive appointments and completed tasks
> Support for recurring appointments and tasks such as "every Wednesday", the nth Monday of every month, the nth day of every month, the first of every month, the last of every month (the calendar software figures out the last date), combinations such as "the 8th, 16th, and 24th" of each month, specification of starting and ending dates
>
> Those were off the top of my head, but I can probably think of more. Ideally these kinds of things should be able to be combined into formulas.
>
> My current calendar is pretty flexible. There are some things that it can't do, though, such as having recurring appointments at intervals larger than 30 days (i.e. every 90 days). There is a workaround trick, but it cannot handle all situations. So it would be handy to be able to say "every 180 days", for instance.
>
> I am running Windows Vista at the moment, and am probably not likely to switch to an Apple product.
>
> --
> Guerri
>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.