PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Computers

Guerri Stevens
September 16th, 2005, 03:18 PM
I was browsing through a recent Dell catalog and I spotted their handheld (palmtop) computer which is called Axim. I thought such a device might be handy for travel when you just wanted to check your Email or renew library books from time to time. They are a bit pricey for what I had in mind, especially as there are some pretty cheap laptops these days.

What isn't shown is how one would write on the thing. Is there a miniature keyboard or what? How handy is it if, for instance, you have a lot to say?

Judy G. Russell
September 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM
What isn't shown is how one would write on the [Dell Axim]. Is there a miniature keyboard or what? How handy is it if, for instance, you have a lot to say?According to a Dell Axim user, "you can input text in four ways: with the on-screen keyboard, by writing regular print letters, by writing Graffiti letters (perfect for old Palm users like me), or with a special transcriber that lets you write anywhere on the screen and then converts your handwriting to text (and it works fairly well.)"

Mike Landi
September 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I have a Palm Tungsten E that I've used for about a year and a half. The current version goes for about $300. Mine is geared more for address books, documents and spreadsheets, to-do lists, schedules, that type of thing.

A common trait of all "palm" type handhelds is the ability for it to recognize printed letters. You print the letters you want and the computer picks it up. They also have the ability to show you a keyboard which you can then "type" on. I tend to do the latter since I am faster with a keyboard than with printing.

Go to a Staples or Best By or Office Max and check these things out. Those stores have models out that you can test.

FWIW, I have been very pleased with the Palm. I know there are others around this forum that also have Palm models.

Guerri Stevens
September 16th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I am afraid to walk into Staples, Best Buy, etc. I might not come out empty handed <g>.