PDA

View Full Version : [Dixonary] Round 2426: New Word: FORAMEN (resend)

Efrem Mallach
July 22nd, 2013, 08:03 AM
One player just told me that this announcement appeared as part of the thread for the previous round (INRO). It didn't happen to me, but I'm sending it again, from a different e-mail address, in the hope that it doesn't happen again to those who had that problem. There are no changes to the content; the word and the deadline are the same. If you got the other one, you can ignore this.

************************************************** *************************************

The word for Round 2426 is:

FORAMEN

As usual, capitalization is not significant.

Please send creative, convincing definitions (or confessions that you know this word) to emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net. Don't reply to this message, since replies will go to the whole group.

The official deadline for submitting definitions is 9 pm on Tuesday, July 23, in the eastern U.S. I think that's 6 pm in the western U.S., 2 am on Wednesday the 24th in the U.K., 3 am Wednesday in most of continental Europe, 11 am Wednesday in Melbourne, and noon Wednesday in Vladivostok, but you may wish to check your own relevant conversion to be certain.

New players are welcome. The rules, for new players or anyone else, are at www.dixonary.net.

And now - let the round begin!

Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Efrem Mallach
July 22nd, 2013, 09:15 AM
Two DQs in four responses so far. Forget this one. A new word will come shortly.

Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
On Jul 22, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Efrem Mallach <emallach (AT) umassd (DOT) edu> wrote:

> The word for Round 2426 is:
>
> ***********
> FORAMEN
> ***********
>
> As usual, capitalization is not significant.
>
> Please send creative, convincing definitions (or confessions that you know this word) to emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net. Don't reply to this message, since replies will go to the whole group.
>
> The official deadline for submitting definitions is 9 pm on Tuesday, July 23, in the eastern U.S. I think that's 6 pm in the western U.S., 2 am on Wednesday the 24th in the U.K., 3 am Wednesday in most of continental Europe, 11 am Wednesday in Melbourne, and noon Wednesday in Vladivostok, but you may wish to check your own relevant conversion to be certain.
>
> New players are welcome. The rules, for new players or anyone else, are at www.dixonary.net.
>
> And now - let the round begin!
>
> Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

Efrem Mallach
July 22nd, 2013, 09:19 AM
The second try for a word for Round 2426, after FORAMEN didn't make the cut, is:

PREE

Please send creative, convincing definitions (or confessions that you know this word) to emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net. Don't reply to this message, since replies will go to the whole group.

The deadline for submitting definitions is unchanged from the previous word: 9 pm on Tuesday, July 23, in the eastern U.S. I still think that's 6 pm in the western U.S., 2 am on Wednesday the 24th in the U.K., 3 am Wednesday in most of continental Europe, 11 am Wednesday in Melbourne, and noon Wednesday in Vladivostok, but you may wish to check your own relevant conversion to be certain.

New players are welcome. The rules, for new players or anyone else, are at www.dixonary.net.

And now - I hope, this time - let the round begin!

Efrem

--

Steve Graham
July 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Oh well, I'm sure it meant "faux ramen"

I'll just have to noodle along.

Steve Graham

_____

No tree is too big for a short dog to lift his leg on

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com [mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com] On Behalf
Of Efrem Mallach
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 07:16
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] Round 2426: Cancel FORAMEN

Two DQs in four responses so far. Forget this one. A new word will come
shortly.

Efrem

On Jul 22, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Efrem Mallach <emallach (AT) umassd (DOT) edu> wrote:

FORAMEN

Please send creative, convincing definitions (or confessions that you know
this word) to emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net. Don't reply to this message, since
replies will go to the whole group.

The official deadline for submitting definitions is 9 pm on Tuesday, July
23, in the eastern U.S. I think that's 6 pm in the western U.S., 2 am on
Wednesday the 24th in the U.K., 3 am Wednesday in most of continental
Europe, 11 am Wednesday in Melbourne, and noon Wednesday in Vladivostok, but
you may wish to check your own relevant conversion to be certain.

New players are welcome. The rules, for new players or anyone else, are at
www.dixonary.net <http://www.dixonary.net/> .

Efrem

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Dixonary" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.

--

France International/Mike Shefler
July 22nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
No it was the closing chant at a revival meeting (four Amens).

On 7/22/2013 10:23 AM, Steve Graham wrote:

Oh well, I'm sure it meant "faux ramen"

I'll just have to noodle along.

&nbsp;

Steve Graham

&nbsp;

From: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com) [mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com] On Behalf Of Efrem Mallach
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 07:16
To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com)
Subject: Re: [Dixonary] Round 2426: Cancel FORAMEN

&nbsp;

Two DQs in four responses so far. Forget this one. A new word will come shortly.

&nbsp;

Efrem

&nbsp;

On Jul 22, 2013, at 9:03 AM, Efrem Mallach &lt;emallach (AT) umassd (DOT) edu (mailto:emallach (AT) umassd (DOT) edu)&gt; wrote:

FORAMEN

Please send creative, convincing definitions (or confessions that you know this word) to&nbsp;emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net (mailto:emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net). Don't reply to this message, since replies will go to the whole group.

The official deadline for submitting definitions is 9 pm on Tuesday, July 23, in the eastern U.S. I think that's 6 pm in the western U.S., 2 am on Wednesday the 24th in the U.K., 3 am Wednesday in most of continental Europe, 11 am Wednesday in Melbourne, and noon Wednesday in Vladivostok,&nbsp;but you may wish to check your own relevant conversion to be certain.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

New players are welcome. The rules, for new players or anyone else, are at&nbsp;www.dixonary.net (http://www.dixonary.net/).

Efrem

&nbsp;

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com).
&nbsp;
&nbsp;

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com (mailto:dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com).
&nbsp;
&nbsp;

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quot;Dixonary&quot; group.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;

Efrem Mallach
July 22nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
With just under 24 hours to go, I have definitions for PREE from seven players: Barrs, Boswell, Carson, Hale, Lodge, Madnick, and Weltz (and no DQs this time). In case you missed it, the announcement message is below. And if you sent a definition but your name isn't in the list, please send it again..

Efrem

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Efrem Mallach <emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net>
> Subject: [Dixonary] Round 2426: New New Word: PREE
> Date: July 22, 2013 10:19:00 AM EDT
> To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
> Reply-To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
>
> The second try for a word for Round 2426, after FORAMEN didn't make the cut, is:
>
> ***********
> PREE
> ***********
>
>
> Please send creative, convincing definitions (or confessions that you know this word) to emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net. Don't reply to this message, since replies will go to the whole group.
>
> The deadline for submitting definitions is unchanged from the previous word: 9 pm on Tuesday, July 23, in the eastern U.S. I still think that's 6 pm in the western U.S., 2 am on Wednesday the 24th in the U.K., 3 am Wednesday in most of continental Europe, 11 am Wednesday in Melbourne, and noon Wednesday in Vladivostok, but you may wish to check your own relevant conversion to be certain.
>
> New players are welcome. The rules, for new players or anyone else, are at www.dixonary.net.
>
> And now - I hope, this time - let the round begin!
>
> Efrem

--

Efrem Mallach
July 23rd, 2013, 08:13 AM
With just under 12 hours to go, we now have definitions for PREE from 15 players: Barrs, Boswell, Bourne, Carson, Dixon, Emery, Graham, Hale, Kornelis, Lodge, Madnick, Morgan, Shepherdson, Stevens, and Weltz (and still no DQs, though a few more notes from people who said they would have been on FORAMEN). In case you missed it, the announcement message is below. And if you sent a definition but your name isn't in the list, please send it again.

Efrem

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Efrem Mallach <emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net>
> Subject: [Dixonary] Round 2426: New New Word: PREE
> Date: July 22, 2013 10:19:00 AM EDT
> To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
> Reply-To: dixonary (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com
>
> The second try for a word for Round 2426, after FORAMEN didn't make the cut, is:
>
> ***********
> PREE
> ***********
>
>
>
> The deadline for submitting definitions is unchanged from the previous word: 9 pm on Tuesday, July 23, in the eastern U.S. I still think that's 6 pm in the western U.S., 2 am on Wednesday the 24th in the U.K., 3 am Wednesday in most of continental Europe, 11 am Wednesday in Melbourne, and noon Wednesday in Vladivostok, but you may wish to check your own relevant conversion to be certain.
>
>
> And now - I hope, this time - let the round begin!
>
> Efrem

--

Efrem Mallach
July 23rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
Fellow Dixonarists,

Following are 19 definitions for the word PREE. One is from my buddy Random "Randy" House. The other 18 were proposed by members of this esteemed group, who will remain anonymous for the next 45 or so hours. They have been reformatted slightly for consistency, per section 3(c) of the rules (page 4) but are otherwise unedited, and are in order by character count. Depending on the font in which your e-mail is displayed, the mix of characters in the definitions, and the random order by which Excel sorted definitions of equal length, they may not appear to be in order by visual length.

1. a smock.
2. to search.
3. a boat-builder's hammer.
4. tithe; toll; honorarium.
5. [Scot.] spindrift; spume.
6. [OE] Leek. (fm Dutch: prei)
7. open plain; open space near a town.
8. a false note played on the bagpipes.
9. rough; in its raw state; unpolished.
10. an island on the Indonesian south coast.
11. an open grassy area, esp. on a mountain-side.
12. [Scot., N. Eng.] a test, trial, or taste; a test by sampling
13. hostility or antipathy; also, a tendency to hold others in contempt.
14. the left-over NaOH solution from the Bayer method of processing bauxite into aluminum.
15. an animal burrow that has been filled with organic or mineral material from another soil horizon.
16. the prize awarded on completion of a knightly quest or tourney (ME from OF, as in _prie du jour_)
17. large, irregularly shaped mineral grains occurring in foliated metamorphic rocks such as schist or gneiss.
18. in India, cosmetics, esp. those ceremonial pigments, lotions, etc. used to adorn the face and hands of a bride.
19. an anhydrous clay found in the Atacama Desert with 2.85 times the absorbency of normal clay used for oil cleanup, kitty litter, etc.

Please vote for two of these definitions (ideally, one of which you think is the real one) by public reply to this message. The deadline is 6 pm on Thursday, July 25, in the eastern U.S. I think that's 3 pm in the western U.S.., 11 pm in the U.K., midnight between Thursday and Friday in most of continental Europe, 8 am Friday the 26th in Melbourne, and 9 am Friday in Vladivostok. As usual, you may want to check my time conversions.

Polish your crystal balls, dust off your tarot cards, unpack your ouija boards, and have fun!

Efrem

P.S. Congratulations to our Commonwealth players on the birth of your likely future king, though I realize you (probably) had little to do with it.

--

Millie Morgan
July 23rd, 2013, 10:57 PM
I agree with Judy ... may as well get this over with

(and I thought that last round was tough!)

2 and 9 for me thanks Efrem

Best wishes

Millie

--

—Keith Hale—
July 23rd, 2013, 11:56 PM
16 + 19, please!

--

Hugo Kornelis
July 24th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Hi Efrem,

Definitions 8 and 12 (the sampling of a false note) strangely appeal to me.

Cheers,
Hugo

Op 24-7-2013 3:08, Efrem Mallach schreef:
> Fellow Dixonarists,
>
> Following are 19 definitions for the word PREE. One is from my buddy
> Random "Randy" House. The other 18 were proposed by members of this
> esteemed group, who will remain anonymous for the next 45 or so hours.
> They have been reformatted slightly for consistency, per section 3(c)
> of the rules (page 4) but are otherwise unedited, and are in order by
> character count. Depending on the font in which your e-mail is
> displayed, the mix of characters in the definitions, and the random
> order by which Excel sorted definitions of equal length, they may not
> appear to be in order by visual length.
>
> 1. a smock.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 2. to search.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 3. a boat-builder's hammer.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 4. tithe; toll; honorarium.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 5. [Scot.] spindrift; spume.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 6. [OE] Leek. (fm Dutch: prei)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 7. open plain; open space near a town.
>
>
>
>
>
> 8. a false note played on the bagpipes.
>
>
>
>
>
> 9. rough; in its raw state; unpolished.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 10. an island on the Indonesian south coast.
>
>
>
>
>
> 11. an open grassy area, esp. on a mountain-side.
>
>
>
>
>
> 12. [Scot., N. Eng.] a test, trial, or taste; a test by sampling
>
>
>
>
> 13. hostility or antipathy; also, a tendency to hold others in contempt.
>
>
>
> 14. the left-over NaOH solution from the Bayer method of processing
> bauxite into aluminum.
>
> 15. an animal burrow that has been filled with organic or mineral
> material from another soil horizon.
>
> 16. the prize awarded on completion of a knightly quest or tourney
> (ME from OF, as in _prie du jour_)
>
> 17. large, irregularly shaped mineral grains occurring in foliated
> metamorphic rocks such as schist or gneiss.
> 18. in India, cosmetics, esp. those ceremonial pigments, lotions, etc.
> used to adorn the face and hands of a bride.
> 19. an anhydrous clay found in the Atacama Desert with 2.85 times the
> absorbency of normal clay used for oil cleanup, kitty litter, etc.
>
>
> Please vote for two of these definitions (ideally, one of which you
> think is the real one) by public reply to this message. The deadline
> is 6 pm on Thursday, July 25, in the eastern U.S. I think that's 3 pm
> in the western U.S., 11 pm in the U.K., midnight between Thursday and
> Friday in most of continental Europe, 8 am Friday the 26th in
> Melbourne, and 9 am Friday in Vladivostok. As usual, you may want to
> check my time conversions.
>
> Polish your crystal balls, dust off your tarot cards, unpack your
> ouija boards, and have fun!
>
> Efrem
>
> P.S. Congratulations to our Commonwealth players on the birth of your
> likely future king, though I realize you (probably) had little to do
> with it.
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>

--

John Barrs
July 24th, 2013, 04:27 AM
just in case it is an open and shut case I will take the "open"s #7 and
#11 for my votes

re the headine "a baby, a prince, a king" the news coverage has been more
than a little OTT here in the homelands so I hate to think what it has been
like in places (often surprising places) where they value the institution
somewhat more than we appear to do

JohnnyB

On 24 July 2013 02:08, Efrem Mallach <emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:

> Fellow Dixonarists,
>
> esteemed group, who will remain anonymous for the next 45 or so hours. They
> have been reformatted slightly for consistency, per section 3(c) of the
> rules (page 4) but are otherwise unedited, and are in order by character
> count. Depending on the font in which your e-mail is displayed, the mix of
> characters in the definitions, and the random order by which Excel sorted
> definitions of equal length, they may not appear to be in order by visual
> length.
>
> 1. a smock. 2. to search. 3. a boat-builder's hammer. 4.
> tithe; toll; honorarium. 5. [Scot.] spindrift; spume. 6. [OE]
> Leek. (fm Dutch: prei) 7. open plain; open space near a town. 8.
> a false note played on the bagpipes. 9. rough; in its raw state;
> unpolished. 10. an island on the Indonesian south coast. 11. an
> open grassy area, esp. on a mountain-side. 12. [Scot., N. Eng.] a
> test, trial, or taste; a test by sampling 13. hostility or antipathy;
> also, a tendency to hold others in contempt. 14. the left-over NaOH
> solution from the Bayer method of processing bauxite into aluminum. 15.
> an animal burrow that has been filled with organic or mineral material from
> another soil horizon. 16. the prize awarded on completion of a knightly
> quest or tourney (ME from OF, as in _prie du jour_) 17. large,
> irregularly shaped mineral grains occurring in foliated metamorphic rocks
> such as schist or gneiss. 18. in India, cosmetics, esp. those ceremonial
> pigments, lotions, etc. used to adorn the face and hands of a bride. 19.
> an anhydrous clay found in the Atacama Desert with 2.85 times the
> Please vote for two of these definitions (ideally, one of which you think
> is the real one) by public reply to this message. The deadline is 6 pm on
> Thursday, July 25, in the eastern U.S. I think that's 3 pm in the western
> U.S., 11 pm in the U.K., midnight between Thursday and Friday in most of
> continental Europe, 8 am Friday the 26th in Melbourne, and 9 am Friday in
> Vladivostok. As usual, you may want to check my time conversions.
>
> Polish your crystal balls, dust off your tarot cards, unpack your ouija
> boards, and have fun!
>
> Efrem
>
> likely future king, though I realize you (probably) had little to do with
> it.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
>
>
>

--

John Barrs
July 24th, 2013, 04:29 AM
just in case it is an open and shut case I will take the "open"s #7 and
#11 for my votes

re the headine "a baby, a prince, a king" the news coverage has been more
than a little OTT here in the homelands so I hate to think what it has been
like in places (often surprising places) where they value the institution
somewhat more than we appear to do

JohnnyB

On 24 July 2013 02:08, Efrem Mallach <emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:

> Fellow Dixonarists,
>
> esteemed group, who will remain anonymous for the next 45 or so hours. They
> have been reformatted slightly for consistency, per section 3(c) of the
> rules (page 4) but are otherwise unedited, and are in order by character
> count. Depending on the font in which your e-mail is displayed, the mix of
> characters in the definitions, and the random order by which Excel sorted
> definitions of equal length, they may not appear to be in order by visual
> length.
>
> 1. a smock. 2. to search. 3. a boat-builder's hammer. 4.
> tithe; toll; honorarium. 5. [Scot.] spindrift; spume. 6. [OE]
> Leek. (fm Dutch: prei) 7. open plain; open space near a town. 8.
> a false note played on the bagpipes. 9. rough; in its raw state;
> unpolished. 10. an island on the Indonesian south coast. 11. an
> open grassy area, esp. on a mountain-side. 12. [Scot., N. Eng.] a
> test, trial, or taste; a test by sampling 13. hostility or antipathy;
> also, a tendency to hold others in contempt. 14. the left-over NaOH
> solution from the Bayer method of processing bauxite into aluminum. 15.
> an animal burrow that has been filled with organic or mineral material from
> another soil horizon. 16. the prize awarded on completion of a knightly
> quest or tourney (ME from OF, as in _prie du jour_) 17. large,
> irregularly shaped mineral grains occurring in foliated metamorphic rocks
> such as schist or gneiss. 18. in India, cosmetics, esp. those ceremonial
> pigments, lotions, etc. used to adorn the face and hands of a bride. 19.
> an anhydrous clay found in the Atacama Desert with 2.85 times the
>
> boards, and have fun!
>
> Efrem
>
> it.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
>
>
>

--

Tim Lodge
July 24th, 2013, 04:36 AM
I'll go for the hammer and the minerals, 3 and 17, please:

3. a boat-builder's hammer.

17. large, irregularly shaped mineral grains occurring in foliated
metamorphic rocks such as schist or gneiss.

-- Tim L

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 17. large, irregularly shaped mineral grains occurring in foliated
> metamorphic rocks such as schist or gneiss. 18. in India, cosmetics,
> esp. those ceremonial pigments, lotions, etc. used to adorn the face and
> hands of a bride. 19. an anhydrous clay found in the Atacama Desert with
> 2.85 times the absorbency of normal clay used for oil cleanup, kitty
> litter, etc.
>
> boards, and have fun!
>
> Efrem
>
> it.
>

--

Guerri Stevens
July 24th, 2013, 05:13 AM
I vote for 4 and 8.

4. tithe; toll; honorarium.
8. a false note played on the bagpipes.

Guerri

--

Glen Boswell
July 24th, 2013, 06:57 AM
It's gonna have to be 15 and 18 this time, please.

Cheers

Glen

I don't know if you've heard already, but a baby was born in the UK the
other day.

--

Steve Graham
July 24th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I'll take 14 and 17 preese.

Steve Graham

_____

14. the left-over NaOH solution from the Bayer method of processing bauxite
into aluminum.

17. large, irregularly shaped mineral grains occurring in foliated
metamorphic rocks such as schist or gneiss.

--

Tim B
July 24th, 2013, 07:11 AM
4 and 7, please.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

--

France International/Mike Shefler
July 24th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I'll go for 11 and 15.

--

thejazzmonger
July 24th, 2013, 10:41 AM
#7 - open plain

#11 - open grassy area

I am either in the right area, or TOTALLY wrong.

--
steve "thejazzmonger" dixon

--

Chris Carson
July 24th, 2013, 01:14 PM
8 and 15 for me.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 23, 2013, at 9:08 PM, Efrem Mallach <emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net> wrote:

> Fellow Dixonarists,
>
> Following are 19 definitions for the word PREE. One is from my buddy Random "Randy" House. The other 18 were proposed by members of this esteemed group, who will remain anonymous for the next 45 or so hours. They have been reformatted slightly for consistency, per section 3(c) of the rules (page 4) but are otherwise unedited, and are in order by character count. Depending on the font in which your e-mail is displayed, the mix of characters in the definitions, and the random order by which Excel sorted definitions of equal length, they may not appear to be in order by visual length.
>
> 1. a smock.
> 2. to search.
> 3. a boat-builder's hammer.
> 4. tithe; toll; honorarium.
> 5. [Scot.] spindrift; spume.
> 6. [OE] Leek. (fm Dutch: prei)
> 7. open plain; open space near a town.
> 8. a false note played on the bagpipes.
> 9. rough; in its raw state; unpolished.
> 10. an island on the Indonesian south coast.
> 11. an open grassy area, esp. on a mountain-side.
> 12. [Scot., N. Eng.] a test, trial, or taste; a test by sampling
> 13. hostility or antipathy; also, a tendency to hold others in contempt.
> 14. the left-over NaOH solution from the Bayer method of processing bauxite into aluminum.
> 15. an animal burrow that has been filled with organic or mineral material from another soil horizon.
> 16. the prize awarded on completion of a knightly quest or tourney (ME from OF, as in _prie du jour_)
> 17. large, irregularly shaped mineral grains occurring in foliated metamorphic rocks such as schist or gneiss.
> 18. in India, cosmetics, esp. those ceremonial pigments, lotions, etc. used to adorn the face and hands of a bride.
> 19. an anhydrous clay found in the Atacama Desert with 2.85 times the absorbency of normal clay used for oil cleanup, kitty litter, etc.
>
> Please vote for two of these definitions (ideally, one of which you think is the real one) by public reply to this message. The deadline is 6 pm on Thursday, July 25, in the eastern U.S. I think that's 3 pm in the western U..S., 11 pm in the U.K., midnight between Thursday and Friday in most of continental Europe, 8 am Friday the 26th in Melbourne, and 9 am Friday in Vladivostok. As usual, you may want to check my time conversions.
>
> Polish your crystal balls, dust off your tarot cards, unpack your ouija boards, and have fun!
>
> Efrem
>
> P.S. Congratulations to our Commonwealth players on the birth of your likely future king, though I realize you (probably) had little to do with it.
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dixonary" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dixonary+unsubscribe (AT) googlegroups (DOT) com.
>
>

--

Nancy Shepherdson
July 24th, 2013, 10:23 PM
I'll have 6 and7.

Nancy

--

Dodi Schultz
July 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM
All, of course, extremely unlikely.

My why-not votes:

7. open plain; open space near a town.

and

15. an animal burrow that has been filled with organic or mineral material
from another soil horizon.

—Dodi

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--

Efrem Mallach
July 25th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Fellow Dixonarists,

The true definition of PREE was #12: a Scots and Northern England term for "a test, trial, or taste; a test by sampling." It comes, distantly, from the same root as the verb "to prove."

The round ended in a two-way tie between Judy Madnick and Millie Morgan, both with five natural points. (It was a four-way tie at four points until Dodi came through with a last-minute vote for Judy's and Millie's definitions.) Judy can be thankful that she didn't do too well in the last few rounds, since Millie's higher rolling score makes her the next dealer.

The results:

1. a smock. From: G. Stevens. Voted: 4, 8. Score: 0+0=0

2. to search. From: K. Hale. Voted for by Morgan. Voted: 16, 19. Score: 1+0=1

3. a boat-builder's hammer. From: G. Boswell. Voted for by Lodge, Weltz. Voted: 15, 18. Score: 2+0=2

4. tithe; toll; honorarium. From: S. Dixon. Voted for by Stevens, Bourne. Voted: 7, 11. Score: 2+0=2

5. [Scot.] spindrift; spume. From: T. Lodge. Voted for by Grieco. Voted: 3, 17. Score: 1+0=1

6. [OE] Leek. (fm Dutch: prei) From: H. Kornelis. Voted for by Shepherdson, Grieco. Voted: 8, 12. Score: 2+2=4*

7. open plain; open space near a town. From: J. Madnick. Voted for by Dixon, Bourne, Shepherdson, Barrs, Schultz. Voted: 15, 17. Score: 5+0=5

8. a false note played on the bagpipes. From: M. Shefler. Voted for by Stevens, Kornelis, Carson, Widdis. Voted: 11, 15. Score: 4+0=4

9. rough; in its raw state; unpolished. From: T. Abell. Voted for by Weltz, Morgan. Did not vote. Score: 2+0=2

10. an island on the Indonesian south coast. From: C. Emery. Did not vote. Score: 0+0=0

11. an open grassy area, esp. on a mountain-side. From: T. Bourne. Voted for by Dixon, Shefler, Barrs. Voted: 4, 7. Score: 3+0=3

12. [Scot., N. Eng.] a test, trial, or taste; a test by sampling From: Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2e. Voted for by Kornelis, Widdis. Did not vote. Score: D2

13. hostility or antipathy; also, a tendency to hold others in contempt. From: N. Shepherdson. Voted: 6, 7. Score: 0+0=0

14. the left-over NaOH solution from the Bayer method of processing bauxite into aluminum. From: D. Weltz. Voted for by Graham. Voted: 3, 9. Score: 1+0=1

15. an animal burrow that has been filled with organic or mineral material from another soil horizon. From: M. Morgan. Voted for by Boswell, Madnick, Shefler, Carson, Schultz. Voted: 2, 9. Score: 5+0=5

16. the prize awarded on completion of a knightly quest or tourney (ME from OF, as in _prie du jour_). From: J. Barrs. Voted for by Hale. Voted: 7, 11. Score: 1+0=1

17. large, irregularly shaped mineral grains occurring in foliated metamorphic rocks such as schist or gneiss. From: C. Carson. Voted for by Lodge, Madnick, Graham. Voted: 8, 15. Score: 3+0=3

18. in India, cosmetics, esp. those ceremonial pigments, lotions, etc. used to adorn the face and hands of a bride. From: D. Schultz. Voted for by Boswell. Voted: 7, 15. Score: 1+0=1

19. an anhydrous clay found in the Atacama Desert with 2.85 times the absorbency of normal clay used for oil cleanup, kitty litter, etc. From: S. Graham. Voted for by Hale. Voted: 14, 17. Score: 1+0=1

-. D. Widdis: No definition submitted. Voted: 8, 12. Score: 0+2=2*

-. M. Grieco: No definition submitted. Voted: 5, 6. Score: 0+0=0

As usual, please bring any errors to my attention so I can correct them. Barring errors that affect the top scores, Millie - who recently dealt rounds 2408, 2415, 2417, and 2422 - is on the spot once again. As they say in the Navy and picked up by Star Trek: Millie, you have the conn. I hope you have a big collection of words!

With thanks for the opportunity to have been of service,

Efrem

--