PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Software?

Guerri Stevens
September 14th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I noticed something awhile ago and Judy said if I saw it again, please get a screen copy. Well, I don't remember what that was, but tonight I saw something different: a note at the left of a thread title saying "you have 1 post(s) in this thread" or something similar.

I did a screen copy and pasted it into a WordPerfect document for lack of anything better to do with it. If anyone wants it, how can I get it to you? I am not sure I can extract it from WordPerfect again, but I probably can. I've seen messages with words like "look at this" and the "this" will be a link, but I have no idea how to create that kind of thing in a message.

Lindsey
September 14th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I did a screen copy and pasted it into a WordPerfect document for lack of anything better to do with it. If anyone wants it, how can I get it to you?
It would be better to paste it into Word, since virtually all PCs now come with Word already installed. I don't have WordPerfect, and I'm not sure how many people who might be able to help you would, either. And then you can include the Word document as an attachment to the message.

I've seen messages with words like "look at this" and the "this" will be a link, but I have no idea how to create that kind of thing in a message.
For the sort of link I think you're talking about, the link has to be pointing to something that exists on the Internet. To share a file that exists on your PC, you need to attach it to the message. Scroll down the screen below the editor window, and click on the "Manage attachments" button and follow the instructions.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 14th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Email it to me at jgr@tapcis.com. That'll work for the moment.

Guerri Stevens
September 16th, 2005, 07:55 AM
It would be better to paste it into Word, since virtually all PCs now come with Word already installed. I don't have WordPerfect, and I'm not sure how many people who might be able to help you would, either. And then you can include the Word document as an attachment to the message.

--Lindsey You may not realize this, but Microsoft Word can usually read WordPerfect documents.

Guerri Stevens
September 16th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Email it to me at jgr@tapcis.com. That'll work for the moment.I will Email it to you, but will try Lindsey's suggestion for attachments. This is a WordPerfect document and it has the capture for the "new" format as well as the one for the message it would not post (I tried again and it worked).

Guerri Stevens
September 16th, 2005, 08:05 AM
OK, I added an attachment. Where does it go? My assumption is that I don't see it because it is like an uploaded file in olden times in the CompuServe forums and the Sysops have to bless it before it's available for the public.

Judy G. Russell
September 16th, 2005, 11:24 AM
OK, I added an attachment. Where does it go? My assumption is that I don't see it because it is like an uploaded file in olden times in the CompuServe forums and the Sysops have to bless it before it's available for the public.It didn't get added, and I assume that was because of the size. The files you sent me aggregated 2.8Mb in size, and we don't allow attachments that size in the forum.

Lindsey
September 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM
You may not realize this, but Microsoft Word can usually read WordPerfect documents.
Supposedly, yes. But my experience in getting Microsoft applications to read files created in other formats is not terribly encouraging.

--Lindsey

Guerri Stevens
September 16th, 2005, 07:38 PM
It didn't get added, and I assume that was because of the size. The files you sent me aggregated 2.8Mb in size, and we don't allow attachments that size in the forum.So if someone has a problem and does a screen shot, that screen shot would, possibly, be too large to post here. So pasting into Word instead of WordPerfect would be immaterial since it couldn't be posted either way.

I should have checked the size before sending it (sigh).

Judy G. Russell
September 17th, 2005, 02:57 PM
So if someone has a problem and does a screen shot, that screen shot would, possibly, be too large to post here.Yes, that's possible. So attaching the screen shot by itself after reducing it to a reasonable size is the best of all possible bets.

Guerri Stevens
September 17th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, that's possible. So attaching the screen shot by itself after reducing it to a reasonable size is the best of all possible bets.I don't have a clue about reducing the size of a screen shot. I basically don't "do" graphics so am relying on what was delivered with Windows 2000, namely Paint. I could paste the screen shot into it, and then see if it has options to reduce the size. And then hope it would still be legible. Might be easier to just tell you (or someone) how it looked. But in the case of the "you have x post(s) in this thread...", would I be believed???? Especially since it came and went!

Judy G. Russell
September 17th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Go to this web site (http://www.irfanview.com) and download Irfanview. It's terrific, it's free, and reading the instructions you'll be able to do screen captures, change the resolution on images, make them bigger and smaller, etc. It's easy and, as I said, the price is right.

Lindsey
September 18th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I don't have a clue about reducing the size of a screen shot. I basically don't "do" graphics so am relying on what was delivered with Windows 2000, namely Paint.
I second Judy's suggestion about getting IrfanView. It's a snap to install, and it makes taking screen shots quite easy: Basically, you simply launch IrfanView, go to Options | Capture/Screenshot, note (or change, if you want) the hotkey designated for making a screen capture, click the "Start" button and then press the hotkey combination when you want to capture the screen. IrfanView shold pop up at that point; you do Edit | Paste, which will put the screen shot on the screen, and then File|Save as to save it in whatever format you choose (JPG usually gives you a good combination of good resolution and small file size).

One caveat: When you upload your file, be sure you do NOT click on the "Close Window" button until you are sure the upload has completed. (See attached screen shots.) I suspect that you closed the window while the upload was still in progress, because if your upload failed because the file was too large, you should have gotten an error message to that effect.

--Lindsey

Guerri Stevens
September 18th, 2005, 07:25 PM
One caveat: When you upload your file, be sure you do NOT click on the "Close Window" button until you are sure the upload has completed. It is possible that I closed the window too soon. I can't be sure. I thought I looked carefully to make sure the upload was done and I thought I got a message to that effect, but I really don't remember. I do remember that it seemed confusing and I couldn't tell what was going on and it took a long time.

I hope Judy got the file(s) I Emailed to her and was able to see what I saw!

Judy G. Russell
September 18th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I hope Judy got the file(s) I Emailed to her and was able to see what I saw!I did, but a much much smaller screen capture from Irfanview would have been just as good (and easier for both of us).

Lindsey
September 18th, 2005, 11:16 PM
It is possible that I closed the window too soon. I can't be sure. I thought I looked carefully to make sure the upload was done and I thought I got a message to that effect, but I really don't remember. I do remember that it seemed confusing and I couldn't tell what was going on and it took a long time.
It's a natural reflex action to click on the "Close window" button when it appears, and I've been burned by it myself, which is how I happened to think that might be the problem you encountered. There's no actual message to tell you your upload was successful--just the appearance of the file name in the "Current attachments" box, as showed in that second screen clip.

It's also possible you got an error message, but didn't notice it. It would have been displayed above the "Upload file" box.

--Lindsey

Guerri Stevens
September 19th, 2005, 07:28 PM
It's a natural reflex action to click on the "Close window" button when it appears...I can only hope that when/if I have another occasion to upload something I will remember this discussion and pay better attention!

Thanks for your help.

Guerri Stevens
September 20th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I got sidetracked and forgot to ask what setting information you'd like to see. If I'm not mixing this up with another discussion, you said that you thought that a difference between my settings and yours might cause me to sometimes see the "you have posts in the thread" caption whereas you have never seen it.

Judy G. Russell
September 20th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I replied to that, noting that I can't tell you what settings because I haven't a clue what settings might be affecting this.

Guerri Stevens
September 21st, 2005, 06:29 PM
I replied to that, noting that I can't tell you what settings because I haven't a clue what settings might be affecting this.OK. I thought perhaps you would like a list of my forum settings that you could then compare to yours or a list of my Firefox settings for the same reason.

Speaking of Firefox - a long time ago I asked why, when I accessed a link, it didn't change color. I think I figured out why. I had my settings to remember stuff for 0 days (I forget which settings). Once I changed that to 1 day, I started to see the color change.