PDA

View Full Version : Firefox & Thunderbird 1.5 Betas

Mike Landi
September 12th, 2005, 03:08 PM
For anybody interested, Mozilla has released Firefox 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5.

I'm trying both of them and they are quite good. They are faster and the drop down menus and options windows are cleaner and better organized.

Firefox draws pages much faster, especially if you have been to the sight before. Popups are blocked quite well without extensions. Extensionsl; however, are a problem. Any extensions from 1.0 need to be updated to work with 1.5 and very few are (yet). Fortunately, FF 1.5 is smart enough to know this and will politely tell you that it has turned off extensions that are not up to date.

Thunderbird now detects 'email scams', but I have not seen it in action yet. What it does do now is spell check as you type, a la MS Word.

Until either one bombs on me, I'll keep with both betas.

Dan in Saint Louis
September 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the update, I have been holding off installing these but if they work that well I might as well go ahead!

davidh
September 12th, 2005, 05:58 PM
I'm running FF 1.06 on Windows 95. I hope 1.5 will work too. But I probably won't try the beta. 1.06 works good enough for me.

David H.

Judy G. Russell
September 12th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks, Mike. I'll probably go ahead and try FF 1.5.

ndebord
September 12th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Mike,

Much as I like what I see with the FF 1.5 beta, the extension issue is enough to make me pass on it (for now.) It is faster though, but still not as fast as K-Meleon!

;-)

Mike Landi
September 13th, 2005, 08:52 AM
I'm running FF 1.06 on Windows 95. I hope 1.5 will work too. But I probably won't try the beta. 1.06 works good enough for me.

David H.

I don't know about using Win95. That is an OLD operating system.

Mike Landi
September 13th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Much as I like what I see with the FF 1.5 beta, the extension issue is enough to make me pass on it (for now.) It is faster though, but still not as fast as K-Meleon!

I hope the extensions get updated soon. I miss the spell checker and Forecast Fox.

ndebord
September 13th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I hope the extensions get updated soon. I miss the spell checker and Forecast Fox.

Mike,

By the time they get around to an official release, they'll get the extensions working right (I hope) and then I'll try it on for real. Meanwhile 1.0.6 works just fine as my backup browser!

heinz57g
September 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM
>> I don't know about using Win95. That is an OLD operating system

mike, interesting remark. make a guess: what would you think average age of the people here on the board is? and why we moan about DOS and TAPCIS?

greetings - heinz -

PS: actually, most of them have left out their age in their profile. wonder why ...

ndebord
October 13th, 2005, 11:38 PM

David H.

David,

You should move to FF 1.07, just for the bug fixes.

Bill Hirst
October 14th, 2005, 08:09 PM
>> I don't know about using Win95. That is an OLD operating system

mike, interesting remark. make a guess: what would you think average age of the people here on the board is? and why we moan about DOS and TAPCIS?

greetings - heinz -

PS: actually, most of them have left out their age in their profile. wonder why ...

I can't remember what comes after XXXXIX.

Lindsey
October 14th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I can't remember what comes after XXXXIX.
L

--L.

rlohmann
October 25th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Bene dicta. :)

Lindsey
October 25th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Bene dicta. :)
Et tu. :p

--Lindsey