PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody surprised?

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Is anybody surprised by the following lead to a Reuters story:

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

One is Shaw Group Inc. and the other is Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton."

ndebord
September 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

One is Shaw Group Inc. and the other is Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton."

Judy,

The scary thing is the off-year elections. The Republicans have not been losing as they should in an election cycle as old as the republic. Why that it is not entirely clear to me and I hate to speculate that it involves rigged voting computers.

Lindsey
September 10th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Surprised? Unfortunately that's SOP in this administration. And Josh Marshall was predicting that very thing (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2005_09_04.php#006422) early last week. It turned out that Allbaugh was even then already in Louisiana (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2005_09_04.php#006438), and had been there since about August 31st.

The latest (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2005_09_04.php#006496) in the contract awarding saga.

--Lindsey

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2005, 10:31 PM
There haven't BEEN any elections since Katrina. Let's worry about vote-rigging after there have been some votes!

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Sigh... even here it's just business as usual...

Dick K
September 13th, 2005, 01:25 AM
The Republicans have not been losing as they should in an election cycle as old as the republic. Why that it is not entirely clear to me and I hate to speculate that it involves rigged voting computers.Maybe, just maybe, they have not been "losing as they should" because more people are voting for them than for their opponents. (Yeah; I know that is an improbable, off-the-wall scenario that is nowhere near as reasonable and likely as the spectre of "rigged voting computers"....)

ndebord
September 13th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Maybe, just maybe, they have not been "losing as they should" because more people are voting for them than for their opponents. (Yeah; I know that is an improbable, off-the-wall scenario that is nowhere near as reasonable and likely as the spectre of "rigged voting computers"....)

Dick,

A valid argument still in play as the issue has not been adequately investigated nor has enough time passed to get the verdict of historians. Will say that in the annals of rigged elections, the Republicans are doing it better than the Democrats right now throughout the country and particuarly well in areas like Ohio and Florida...with or without rigged computers.

Dick K
September 13th, 2005, 03:59 PM
A valid argument still in play as the issue has not been adequately investigated nor has enough time passed to get the verdict of historians.Nick -

I don't see how a conspiracy theory which is backed by no real evidence whatever can be called "a valid argument."