PDA

View Full Version : [Dixonary] Round 2346 results

Efrem Mallach
October 17th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Folks,

A low total of 15 votes were cast. Eight people picked the dictionary definition, #15 in the list below. Guess I'll have to edit it next time to make it look more like something one of us came up with! :)

(Oddly, and perhaps related to the low vote count, I received no votes in the 18 hours before the deadline. If there was a problem with either the site or my computer that prevented me from getting votes that were cast, please let me know - by direct e-mail to emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net or emallach (AT) umassd (DOT) edu as well as a message to the site, since I may not get that message if it only goes there. I'll correct the scores.)

Assuming the scores stand as I now have them, there was a three-way tie for first place among John Barrs, Tim Bourne, and Mike Shefler with four points each. All three had two points for getting the correct definition themselves, so no tie-breaker there. Mr. Shefler is therefore our next dealer on the basis of highest rolling score. No need to go to cumulative scores, let alone time-stamps.

(The highest natural score, 3, was achieved by Tony Abell and Steve Dixon. Two others also had three points total.)

1. Dregs (chiefly UK). Submitted: D. Cunningham. Votes: 8, 11. Voted for: Hart. Score: 1+0 = 1.

2. A broad-bladed hoe. Submitted: M. Grieco. Votes: None. Voted for: Crom. Score: 1+0 = 1.

3. [Obs.] Prostitution. Submitted: D. Schultz. Votes: 4, *15*. Voted for: None. Score: 0+2 = 2.

4. [Scots] Drunken revelry. Submitted: T. Abell. Votes: None. Voted for: Graham, Madnick, Schultz. Score: 3+0 = 3.

5. The gardening soil trade. Submitted: Hale. Votes: 12, *15*. Voted for: None. Score: 0+2 = 2.

6. Obstinacy in opinions [Obs.]. Submitted: Widdis. Votes: None. Voted for: Lodge. Score: 1+0 = 1.

7. Earthworks defending against a rear attack. Submitted: Madnick. Votes: 4, 10. Voted for: Barrs. Score: 1+0 = 1.

8. A form of lace-making using a _bott_ or cushion. Submitted: Barrs. Votes: 7, *15*. Voted for: Cunningham, Dixon. Score: 2+2 = 4.

9. The display of one's rear end from a car window. Submitted: Wetzstein. Votes: None. Voted for: Graham. Score: 1+0 = 1.

10. Ornamental pruning of the roots of trees and shrubs. Submitted: Hart. Votes: 1, 19. Voted for: Madnick. Score: 1+0 = 1.

11. English for _battamri_, the Hindi word for a foot-soldier. Submitted: Dixon. Votes: 8, 17. Voted for: Cunningham, Lodge, Stevens. Score: 3+0 = 3.

12. An assistant or adjunct; a subordinate member of a pair or group. Submitted: Morgan. Votes: 13, *15*. Voted for: Hale. Score: 1+2 = 3.

13. Specious or excessively subtle reasoning intended to rationalize or mislead. Submitted: Carson. Votes: None. Voted for: Morgan. Score: 1+0 = 1.

14. Edging of a different fabric or color applied along the hemline of a dress, skirt, or pants. Submitted: Weitz. Votes: *15*, 19. Voted for: Bourne. Score: 1+2 = 3.

15. A contract by which the owner of a ship borrows money to finance a voyage, pledging the ship as security. Submitted: Random House unabridged dictionary. Votes: n/a. Voted for: Barrs, Bourne, Crom, Hale, Morgan, Schultz, Shefler, Weitz. Score: D8 :(

16. The collection of art works by Richard A. Botto, noted artist and portraitist concentrating on the equine form. Submitted: Graham. Votes: 4, 9. Voted for: None. Score: 0+0 = 0.

17. Any act of playing the fool; to make a fool of someone in a play (fr. Shakespeare character Bottom in _A Midsummer Night's Dream_). Submitted: Shefler and Emery. This was combined from the two originally submitted definitions:

17a. Shefler: The act of playing the fool; to make a fool of someone (fr. Shakespeare character Bottom in _A Midsummer Night's Dream_). Votes: *15*, 20. Voted for: Dixon, Stevens. Score: 2+2 = 4.

17b. Emery: From a character in Shakespeare's _A Midsummer Night's Dream_, any foolishness in a play that recalls the bard's character. Votes: none. Voted for: Dixon, Stevens. Score: 0+2 = 2.

18. A style of rhyming poetry in which the first line rhymes with the last, the second line with the next to last, and so on. Submitted: Stevens. Votes: 11, 17. Voted for: None. Score: 0+0 = 0.

19. The practice of nations biasing their international trade, by tariffs or law, in favour of being carried in their own vessels. Submitted: Bourne. Votes: 14, *15*. Voted for: Hart, Weitz. Score: 2+2 = 4.

20. The collective term for any fish or shellfish, such as flatfish and scallops, caught by trawling with the net in contact with the sea bed. Submitted: Lodge. Votes: 6, 11. Voted for: Shefler. Score: 1+0 = 1.

Also voting, but did not submit a definition:

S. Crom: 2, *15*. Score: 0+2 = 2.

Please send me any corrections, and best wishes on Loyalty Day to anyone in Argentina.

Respectfully submitted by your retiring dealer, and over to you, Mike -

Efrem

France International/Mike Shefler
October 17th, 2012, 10:03 AM
That is odd. But the last vote I see is from Dodi at 2:09 PM yesterday.
I'll post a word in a bit.

--Mike
On 10/17/2012 10:37 AM, Efrem Mallach wrote:
> Folks,
>
> A low total of 15 votes were cast. Eight people picked the dictionary definition, #15 in the list below. Guess I'll have to edit it next time to make it look more like something one of us came up with! :)
>
> (Oddly, and perhaps related to the low vote count, I received no votes in the 18 hours before the deadline. If there was a problem with either the site or my computer that prevented me from getting votes that were cast, please let me know - by direct e-mail to emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net or emallach (AT) umassd (DOT) edu as well as a message to the site, since I may not get that message if it only goes there. I'll correct the scores.)
>
> Assuming the scores stand as I now have them, there was a three-way tie for first place among John Barrs, Tim Bourne, and Mike Shefler with four points each. All three had two points for getting the correct definition themselves, so no tie-breaker there. Mr. Shefler is therefore our next dealer on the basis of highest rolling score. No need to go to cumulative scores, let alone time-stamps.
>
> (The highest natural score, 3, was achieved by Tony Abell and Steve Dixon. Two others also had three points total.)
>
> 1. Dregs (chiefly UK). Submitted: D. Cunningham. Votes: 8, 11. Voted for: Hart. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>
> 2. A broad-bladed hoe. Submitted: M. Grieco. Votes: None. Voted for: Crom. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>
> 3. [Obs.] Prostitution. Submitted: D. Schultz. Votes: 4, *15*. Voted for: None. Score: 0+2 = 2.
>
> 4. [Scots] Drunken revelry. Submitted: T. Abell. Votes: None. Voted for: Graham, Madnick, Schultz. Score: 3+0 = 3.
>
> 5. The gardening soil trade. Submitted: Hale. Votes: 12, *15*. Voted for: None. Score: 0+2 = 2.
>
> 6. Obstinacy in opinions [Obs.]. Submitted: Widdis. Votes: None. Voted for: Lodge. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>
> 7. Earthworks defending against a rear attack. Submitted: Madnick. Votes: 4, 10. Voted for: Barrs. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>
> 8. A form of lace-making using a _bott_ or cushion. Submitted: Barrs. Votes: 7, *15*. Voted for: Cunningham, Dixon. Score: 2+2 = 4.
>
> 9. The display of one's rear end from a car window. Submitted: Wetzstein. Votes: None. Voted for: Graham. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>
> 10. Ornamental pruning of the roots of trees and shrubs. Submitted: Hart. Votes: 1, 19. Voted for: Madnick. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>
> 11. English for _battamri_, the Hindi word for a foot-soldier. Submitted: Dixon. Votes: 8, 17. Voted for: Cunningham, Lodge, Stevens. Score: 3+0 = 3.
>
> 12. An assistant or adjunct; a subordinate member of a pair or group. Submitted: Morgan. Votes: 13, *15*. Voted for: Hale. Score: 1+2 = 3.
>
> 13. Specious or excessively subtle reasoning intended to rationalize or mislead. Submitted: Carson. Votes: None. Voted for: Morgan. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>
>
> 14. Edging of a different fabric or color applied along the hemline of a dress, skirt, or pants. Submitted: Weitz. Votes: *15*, 19. Voted for: Bourne. Score: 1+2 = 3.
>
> 15. A contract by which the owner of a ship borrows money to finance a voyage, pledging the ship as security. Submitted: Random House unabridged dictionary. Votes: n/a. Voted for: Barrs, Bourne, Crom, Hale, Morgan, Schultz, Shefler, Weitz. Score: D8 :(
>
> 16. The collection of art works by Richard A. Botto, noted artist and portraitist concentrating on the equine form. Submitted: Graham. Votes: 4, 9. Voted for: None. Score: 0+0 = 0.
>
> 17. Any act of playing the fool; to make a fool of someone in a play (fr. Shakespeare character Bottom in _A Midsummer Night's Dream_). Submitted: Shefler and Emery. This was combined from the two originally submitted definitions:
>
> 17a. Shefler: The act of playing the fool; to make a fool of someone (fr. Shakespeare character Bottom in _A Midsummer Night's Dream_). Votes: *15*, 20. Voted for: Dixon, Stevens. Score: 2+2 = 4.
>
> 17b. Emery: From a character in Shakespeare's _A Midsummer Night's Dream_, any foolishness in a play that recalls the bard's character. Votes: none. Voted for: Dixon, Stevens. Score: 0+2 = 2.
>
> 18. A style of rhyming poetry in which the first line rhymes with the last, the second line with the next to last, and so on. Submitted: Stevens. Votes: 11, 17. Voted for: None. Score: 0+0 = 0.
>
> 19. The practice of nations biasing their international trade, by tariffs or law, in favour of being carried in their own vessels. Submitted: Bourne. Votes: 14, *15*. Voted for: Hart, Weitz. Score: 2+2 = 4.
>
> 20. The collective term for any fish or shellfish, such as flatfish and scallops, caught by trawling with the net in contact with the sea bed. Submitted: Lodge. Votes: 6, 11. Voted for: Shefler. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>
> Also voting, but did not submit a definition:
>
> S. Crom: 2, *15*. Score: 0+2 = 2.
>
> Please send me any corrections, and best wishes on Loyalty Day to anyone in Argentina.
>
> Respectfully submitted by your retiring dealer, and over to you, Mike -
>
> Efrem
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2013.0.2677 / Virus Database: 2614/5835 - Release Date: 10/16/12
>
>
>

Efrem Mallach
October 17th, 2012, 10:08 AM
That's also the last one I got, and I'm getting these group messages normally (including my copy of the results), so at this point I think the scores are probably correct.
Efrem

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
On Oct 17, 2012, at 11:03 AM, France International/Mike Shefler wrote:

> That is odd. But the last vote I see is from Dodi at 2:09 PM yesterday. I'll post a word in a bit.
>
> --Mike
> On 10/17/2012 10:37 AM, Efrem Mallach wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> A low total of 15 votes were cast. Eight people picked the dictionary definition, #15 in the list below. Guess I'll have to edit it next time to make it look more like something one of us came up with! :)
>>
>> (Oddly, and perhaps related to the low vote count, I received no votes in the 18 hours before the deadline. If there was a problem with either the site or my computer that prevented me from getting votes that were cast, please let me know - by direct e-mail to emallach (AT) verizon (DOT) net or emallach (AT) umassd (DOT) edu as well as a message to the site, since I may not get that message if it only goes there. I'll correct the scores.)
>>
>> Assuming the scores stand as I now have them, there was a three-way tie for first place among John Barrs, Tim Bourne, and Mike Shefler with four points each. All three had two points for getting the correct definition themselves, so no tie-breaker there. Mr. Shefler is therefore our next dealer on the basis of highest rolling score. No need to go to cumulative scores, let alone time-stamps.
>>
>> (The highest natural score, 3, was achieved by Tony Abell and Steve Dixon. Two others also had three points total.)
>>
>> 1. Dregs (chiefly UK). Submitted: D. Cunningham. Votes: 8, 11. Voted for: Hart. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>>
>> 2. A broad-bladed hoe. Submitted: M. Grieco. Votes: None. Voted for: Crom. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>>
>> 3. [Obs.] Prostitution. Submitted: D. Schultz. Votes: 4, *15*. Voted for: None. Score: 0+2 = 2.
>>
>> 4. [Scots] Drunken revelry. Submitted: T. Abell. Votes: None. Voted for: Graham, Madnick, Schultz. Score: 3+0 = 3.
>>
>> 5. The gardening soil trade. Submitted: Hale. Votes: 12, *15*. Voted for: None. Score: 0+2 = 2.
>>
>> 6. Obstinacy in opinions [Obs.]. Submitted: Widdis. Votes: None. Voted for: Lodge. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>>
>> 7. Earthworks defending against a rear attack. Submitted: Madnick. Votes: 4, 10. Voted for: Barrs. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>>
>> 8. A form of lace-making using a _bott_ or cushion. Submitted: Barrs. Votes: 7, *15*. Voted for: Cunningham, Dixon. Score: 2+2 = 4.
>>
>> 9. The display of one's rear end from a car window. Submitted: Wetzstein. Votes: None. Voted for: Graham. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>>
>> 10. Ornamental pruning of the roots of trees and shrubs. Submitted: Hart. Votes: 1, 19. Voted for: Madnick. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>>
>> 11. English for _battamri_, the Hindi word for a foot-soldier. Submitted: Dixon. Votes: 8, 17. Voted for: Cunningham, Lodge, Stevens. Score: 3+0 = 3.
>>
>> 12. An assistant or adjunct; a subordinate member of a pair or group. Submitted: Morgan. Votes: 13, *15*. Voted for: Hale. Score: 1+2 = 3.
>>
>> 13. Specious or excessively subtle reasoning intended to rationalize or mislead. Submitted: Carson. Votes: None. Voted for: Morgan. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>>
>>
>> 14. Edging of a different fabric or color applied along the hemline of a dress, skirt, or pants. Submitted: Weitz. Votes: *15*, 19. Voted for: Bourne. Score: 1+2 = 3.
>>
>> 15. A contract by which the owner of a ship borrows money to finance a voyage, pledging the ship as security. Submitted: Random House unabridged dictionary. Votes: n/a. Voted for: Barrs, Bourne, Crom, Hale, Morgan, Schultz, Shefler, Weitz. Score: D8 :(
>>
>> 16. The collection of art works by Richard A. Botto, noted artist and portraitist concentrating on the equine form. Submitted: Graham. Votes: 4, 9. Voted for: None. Score: 0+0 = 0.
>>
>> 17. Any act of playing the fool; to make a fool of someone in a play (fr. Shakespeare character Bottom in _A Midsummer Night's Dream_). Submitted: Shefler and Emery. This was combined from the two originally submitted definitions:
>>
>> 17a. Shefler: The act of playing the fool; to make a fool of someone (fr. Shakespeare character Bottom in _A Midsummer Night's Dream_). Votes: *15*, 20. Voted for: Dixon, Stevens. Score: 2+2 = 4.
>>
>> 17b. Emery: From a character in Shakespeare's _A Midsummer Night's Dream_, any foolishness in a play that recalls the bard's character. Votes: none. Voted for: Dixon, Stevens. Score: 0+2 = 2.
>>
>> 18. A style of rhyming poetry in which the first line rhymes with the last, the second line with the next to last, and so on. Submitted: Stevens. Votes: 11, 17. Voted for: None. Score: 0+0 = 0.
>>
>> 19. The practice of nations biasing their international trade, by tariffs or law, in favour of being carried in their own vessels. Submitted: Bourne. Votes: 14, *15*. Voted for: Hart, Weitz. Score: 2+2 = 4.
>>
>> 20. The collective term for any fish or shellfish, such as flatfish and scallops, caught by trawling with the net in contact with the sea bed. Submitted: Lodge. Votes: 6, 11. Voted for: Shefler. Score: 1+0 = 1.
>>
>> Also voting, but did not submit a definition:
>>
>> S. Crom: 2, *15*. Score: 0+2 = 2.
>>
>> Please send me any corrections, and best wishes on Loyalty Day to anyone in Argentina.
>>
>> Respectfully submitted by your retiring dealer, and over to you, Mike -
>>
>> Efrem
>>
>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.
>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
>> Version: 2013.0.2677 / Virus Database: 2614/5835 - Release Date: 10/16/12
>>
>>
>>