PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Flash poser

Peter Creasey
September 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
When I go to http://www.usatoday.com/weather/graphics/hurricane/hurricane2005/01.htm

I am told I need to install Flash Player, seemingly, V 7.0, r 19.

When I look in my Mozilla plugins folder, it contains Get Flash -- described as Macromedia Flash Player Updater 7.0 r 19.

Why is what I have in my plugins folder not working for the referenced website? Or why is the referenced website asking for me to download Flash Player when I seem to already have it?

Thanks!

Dan in Saint Louis
September 10th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Perhaps getflash.exe does just that? Try running it. My plugins folder also has npswf32.dll, 814 KB, that appears to be the actual plugin.

If it gets stubborn, just delete both of them, and download and install a brand-new copy. It's easier than all the grief of trying to figure out what happened.

Peter Creasey
September 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM
>> My plugins folder also has npswf32.dll, 814 KB, that appears to be the actual plugin.
If it gets stubborn, just delete both of them, and download and install a brand-new copy. It's easier than all the grief of trying to figure out what happened. <<

Dan, Thanks for the reply.

My plugins folder ALSO has npswf32.dll, 813 KB. Any ideas why it doesn't click in when needed?

How do I delete the MacroMedia Flash and the npswf32.dll programs? Just go to them with MS Explorer and <delete> them? I don't see any way to use Add/Remove programs.

EDITed: I was given the opportunity to update Flash so I did so and the update/install went fine. However, I'm still told when I go to the site referenced in the parent note that I need to install Flash.

My main question now, I guess, is how do I delete Macro Media Flash and npswf32.dll so I can start from scratch?

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2005, 06:47 PM
The problem is with the web page.

Peter Creasey
September 10th, 2005, 07:02 PM
>> The problem is with the web page. <<

Judy, Thanks so much for chiming in.

I thought this might be the case except other people have been able to access that web page using their Flash without any trouble.

I am glad you saved me a bunch of trials and tribulations...guess I'll just miss out on that particular web page.

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2005, 09:23 PM
It doesn't even work for me in IE6, so it's busted. Period. (Translation: whatever combination of browser and/or Flash player it wants, I'm not going to spend my life trying to track down for it.)

Dan in Saint Louis
September 10th, 2005, 10:20 PM
My plugins folder ALSO has npswf32.dll, 813 KB. Any ideas why it doesn't click in when needed?No idea whatsoever.

How do I delete the MacroMedia Flash and the npswf32.dll programs? Just go to them with MS Explorer and <delete> them?Exactly. They are not stand-alone programs and will not appear in "Add/Remove".

Peter Creasey
September 11th, 2005, 09:17 AM
>> Translation: whatever combination of browser and/or Flash player it wants, I'm not going to spend my life trying to track down for it. <<

Again, Judy, thanks...my sentiments exactly! I was leaning that way but am glad you pushed me to a full conviction.