PDA

View Full Version : Good Yankees

Mike Landi
September 9th, 2005, 08:29 PM
This is more like it! 7-3 in the bottom of the sixth. Aaron Small pitched well again.

Will the bullpen hold?????

ndebord
September 9th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Mike,

"Will the bullpen hold?"

Well, it's Flash pitching right now, so we'll know very soon now.

Mike Landi
September 9th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Flash held! Cano fumbled, but Mo was just fine.

8-4. 3 games back.

One down, two to go.

Good luck Chacon!

Judy G. Russell
September 9th, 2005, 11:15 PM
EIGHT TO FOUR FINAL!!! Oh man... what a game...

Mike Landi
September 10th, 2005, 07:19 AM
What a game, and hurray for Aaron Small! Ortiz hitless, clutch hitting, and great pitching.

Now, Chacon has to follow suit! (I hope,I hope, I hope....)

ndebord
September 10th, 2005, 11:06 AM
EIGHT TO FOUR FINAL!!! Oh man... what a game...

Judy,

What a game and Small...7-0. I watched him pitch and the Beantown hitters were saying the same thing the Oakland ones said: We shudda hit him. He ain't got nothing spectacular...yadda...yadda...yadda!

ndebord
September 10th, 2005, 11:07 AM
What a game, and hurray for Aaron Small! Ortiz hitless, clutch hitting, and great pitching.

Now, Chacon has to follow suit! (I hope,I hope, I hope....)

Mike,

Chacon has been reborn with the Yankees. Nasty curveball that just wouldn't work at all in milehigh stadium. And the remarkable thing about his pitching is he is not as wild as he has been in the past. Could that be Mel's doing?

Whatever. Go Chacon!

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Now, Chacon has to follow suit! (I hope,I hope, I hope....)Ain't looking good at this point (2-0 Sox, in the 2nd). :(

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2005, 09:24 PM
So what happened today????

ndebord
September 10th, 2005, 09:30 PM
So what happened today????

Judy,

What happened? A dominant Schilling for 8 innings and Chacon fell apart in the 4th inning and gave up 6 runs. Caveat. Two more errors in that inning by Matsui and Cano, which didn't help Chacon at all and then he just folded.

It's up to Johnson now to get us back to 3 back and the Indians won, so we're now 1 1/2 back in the wildcard race.

<bigh sigh>

Mike Landi
September 10th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Chacon has been reborn with the Yankees. Nasty curveball that just wouldn't work at all in milehigh stadium. And the remarkable thing about his pitching is he is not as wild as he has been in the past. Could that be Mel's doing?

Whatever. Go Chacon!

Too bad he did not have it today. 2-9. Yuck! 1 1/2 out of the wild card and 4 behind Boston. Randy needs to win tomorrow, big time!

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2005, 10:34 PM
It's up to Johnson now to get us back to 3 backUh oh...

and the Indians won, so we're now 1 1/2 back in the wildcard race.Uh oh again...

Judy G. Russell
September 10th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Randy needs to win tomorrow, big time!That prospect does not leave me with the warm fuzzies.

Mike Landi
September 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
A lot of "not good" here. We need to win today, and go on a run of wins, and have Boston lose a bunch.

We may be sitting out this year's post-season.

Judy G. Russell
September 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM
We may be sitting out this year's post-season.I've said that since the first or second week...

ndebord
September 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Uh oh...

Uh oh again...

Judy,

I've got my 5 spot down on Johnson today. Got a feeling about him.

As for Cleveland. Anybody got any voodoo pins?

Judy G. Russell
September 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM
CLIFFHANGER -- 1-0 in the 7th!

Judy G. Russell
September 11th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Your five-spot is safe -- what a GREAT game -- 1-0 and Johnson (and Mariano -- gads -- pitching out of TWO james) came through!

ndebord
September 11th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Your five-spot is safe -- what a GREAT game -- 1-0 and Johnson (and Mariano -- gads -- pitching out of TWO james) came through!

Judy,

What a game. I got nervous when Johnson grabbed his leg at the end of the 7th inning and again when Flash started off by giving up a hit in the 8th. The 9th I had a heart attack as Mo started walking Bosox, but as I look back on it, he was working real hard not to give them anything to hit which I guess is why he went to full count on so many and gave up that walk.

Three back now! And time to see if this team is championship caliber. Three games in Tampa Bay.

Judy G. Russell
September 11th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Three games in Tampa Bay.Sigh... how can a team that's so bad play so consistently well against us???

Mike Landi
September 11th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Sigh... how can a team that's so bad play so consistently well against us???

Gads, what a game! Giambi's HR the only run scored. Wakefield K's 12 and loses. Wow.

Three back, but Tampa Bay next. If we can't tee-off on the Rays, we don't deserve to win. Period.

Judy G. Russell
September 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM
If we can't tee-off on the Rays, we don't deserve to win. Period.I hate to have to do it, but I agree with you. A championship team has to work past whatever it is that's been dragging it down against the D-Rays so far. If they can't do that, then they can't get past the Red Sox or the White Sox or the Twins or the Indians or...

Mike Landi
September 12th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I hate to have to do it, but I agree with you. A championship team has to work past whatever it is that's been dragging it down against the D-Rays so far. If they can't do that, then they can't get past the Red Sox or the White Sox or the Twins or the Indians or...

In the playoffs, we will (almost by definition) face very good pitching. If we make the D-Rays' pitchers pitch above their level, we should still be able to beat them. If we can't, we won't beat the other playoff teams since those teams will step up their play in the post season.

We need to pound the rest of our division. If we do not, we won't be in the playoffs, and we should not be there.

I'm hoping for the former, but being realistic, we just don't have the pitching to be there.

Judy G. Russell
September 12th, 2005, 10:05 PM
being realistic, we just don't have the pitching to be there.Ain't that the truth... (darn it)...

Mike Landi
September 13th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Ain't that the truth... (darn it)...

The Sox came back again last night. They have to lose a few and we need to kick rear to have a chance. I just don't see it. I WANT to see it, but I don't.

Judy G. Russell
September 13th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Well, the Sox lost tonight and we may be in trouble... The D-Rays managed a whole 'nother run so we're only winning 17-3 now!

Mike Landi
September 15th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Can you believe it???

Small gets in trouble, we are down 1-5, but the Cano hits a 'slam and A-Rod also homers!

We Win!!!!!!

AND BOSTON LOST! :eek: We are 1 1/2 games back with 18 to play.

Is it....

Is it....

Is it possible that we could overtake the Sox????

Nah......

....Maybe?

ndebord
September 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Can you believe it???

Small gets in trouble, we are down 1-5, but the Cano hits a 'slam and A-Rod also homers!

We Win!!!!!!

eek: We are 1 1/2 games back with 18 to play.

Is it....is it possible that we could overtake the Sox????

Maybe?

Mike,

Throwing salt over my left shoulder...real fast now I ain't gonna say a thing except to say that Small coming back in the 6th inning and shutting down the D-Rays 1-2-3 was impressive stuff, particularly since the other guy couldn't handle the big lead at 5-1 and left losing 7-5!

Bill Hirst
September 15th, 2005, 10:12 PM
We are 1 1/2 games back with 18 to play.

You're also a half game behind in the wild card standings, just like Florida and Philadelphia. Anything is possible this year.

Mike Landi
September 16th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Small coming back in the 6th inning and shutting down the D-Rays 1-2-3 was impressive stuff, particularly since the other guy couldn't handle the big lead at 5-1 and left losing 7-5!

Small has really impressed me. Even when he makes a mistake, he is not rattled. He picks himself up and moves on. A real inspiration, plus having the pitcher keep his composure helps the whole team stay "on game".

We have to keep winning and hope Boston gets scared. Imagine us going to Boston for the last three games with the difference between the teams being less than 2 games? :eek:

Mike Landi
September 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM
You're also a half game behind in the wild card standings, just like Florida and Philadelphia. Anything is possible this year.

You are right, but us die-hard Yankee fans are looking to finish ahead of Boston!

(We are spoiled and have very high expectations. We expect to be in the playoffs and our target is to always finish ahead of Boston. <g>)

Judy G. Russell
September 16th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Cano is sure making up with the bat for the fielding errors...

Judy G. Russell
September 16th, 2005, 11:21 AM
As Mike says, it almost doesn't count if we have to back into the playoffs.

Mike Landi
September 16th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Cano is sure making up with the bat for the fielding errors...

I hope it continues. The offense is certainly being "offensive" to opposing pitching! :)

Judy G. Russell
September 16th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I hope it continues. The offense is certainly being "offensive" to opposing pitching! :)That would be n-i-i-i-i-i-c-e...

Mike Landi
September 16th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Let's hope Randy is on his game tonight...

...after all, we bought him just for the stretch run, right?

ndebord
September 16th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Let's hope Randy is on his game tonight...

...after all, we bought him just for the stretch run, right?

Mike,

Randy got thrown out of the game in the 2nd inning after arguing balls and strikes with the homeplate umpire. YahooSports says the pitch he lost it over with over the inside part of the plate.

Yankees still win 11-10. Meanwhile Boston won on a walkoff...hit batsman. 3-2 over the A's.

<sigh.

Judy G. Russell
September 17th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Randy got thrown out of the game in the 2nd inning after arguing balls and strikes with the homeplate umpire. YahooSports says the pitch he lost it over with over the inside part of the plate.Let's assume that's true: it was in fact a strike. After all his years in the majors, he loses it over a bad call???? Thank heavens the Yankees won. Otherwise folks would be (legitimately) calling for his scalp.

Mike Landi
September 17th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Let's assume that's true: it was in fact a strike. After all his years in the majors, he loses it over a bad call???? Thank heavens the Yankees won. Otherwise folks would be (legitimately) calling for his scalp.

I hope Joe took him up one wall and down another. This is close to what Brown did last year, punching a wall in September. No excuse.

Randy is lucky we won, and we are lucky we held on. We almost blew a 11-3 lead!

Tonight was much better. 1-0, and Chicon was eight innings of shutout. Manny won the game for Boston, and Cleveland won also.

This race is tough on the nerves!

ndebord
September 17th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Mike,

ML> I hope Joe took him [Johnson] up one wall and down another.

To play Devil's Advocate here, Johnson and this ump have a history. When Culbreth took off his mask and came out from behind home plate and advanced on the mound, Johnson did likewise. The curses that Randy uttered were coarse, explicit and NOT directed at the Ump, according to those who could overhear Johnson cursing. They say he was cursing in general, whatever that means.. What was directed at the Ump was an tension filled litany about pitches the ump missed according to Johnson. Caveat. I only saw the one that precipitated this ejection and it looked like it was just barely over the corner of the plate. Flaherty said the call could have gone either way, but then added that the pitch Culberth called a ball in the previous inning was definitely a strike. I will now have to go back to the previous game in which Culbreth said that twice opposing batters had not gone around on Johnson pitches, calls that Johnson disputed loudly then, to see if that is the case or not.

Anyhow, Johnson should not have lost his cool, but then neither should have the ump. Activist Umps are an increasing problem in the game. As one wit said: We're not hear to watch the Umps interact in the game, because if we, are the umps should get a bat or a glove and find a position to play.

ndebord
September 17th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Tonight was much better. 1-0, and Chicon was eight innings of shutout. Manny won the game for Boston, and Cleveland won also.

This race is tough on the nerves!

Mike,

Tough is an understatement. I need new nails because of it!

Chacon, 8 innings, 4 hits, ZERO runs, 1 base on balls and 1 strikeout, then Gordon came in for the 9th inning, gave up 2 hits, ZERO runs, no base on balls and struck out 1.

And there you have it. A 1-0 win over Toronto!

Didn't see the game, but what a thriller.

Judy G. Russell
September 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I hope Joe took him up one wall and down another. This is close to what Brown did last year, punching a wall in September. No excuse.Exactly. Johnson is a very VERY highly paid professional. It's his job to keep his cool.

Mike Landi
September 18th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I did not know about a history with the ump, but even so, Johnson was an ass for losing his cool.

As long as the ump is consistent with his calls, the pitcher should shut up!

Mike Landi
September 18th, 2005, 08:16 PM
And there you have it. A 1-0 win over Toronto!

Didn't see the game, but what a thriller.

And today we have bad luck Wright getting nailed early in the game and we lose by one run.

<sigh>

Boston got their butts tanned. We could have picked up a game. I guess I should not complain. If we have to lose, I'd rather it be when Boston loses also.

Judy G. Russell
September 18th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I guess I should not complain. If we have to lose, I'd rather it be when Boston loses also.Exactly my thought... but if they were going to lose, it'd be awfully nice if we had won...

ndebord
September 18th, 2005, 10:28 PM
And today we have bad luck Wright getting nailed early in the game and we lose by one run.

<sigh>

Boston got their butts tanned. We could have picked up a game. I guess I should not complain. If we have to lose, I'd rather it be when Boston loses also.

Mike,ai

After 6 straight wins I guess we shouldn't be surprised if we lose a close one, but to lose Wright to acut on the arm and the bat hitting his elbow. Ouch. Plus Giambi pulled because of back spasms. Double Ouch.

And I guess we're lucky that Boston lost too, but it sure would be nice to get that 1 1/2 games down to even and we're now 1 1/2 behind Cleveland for the wild card. The only good news there is that Cleveland plays Chicago next.

Wang up next against Baltimore. Let's hope Joe is right in saying he is working the rust out and that he expects a good game from him tomorrow.

<sigh>

Mike Landi
September 19th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Okay. We lost one game. Let's make sure it is just one game!

Judy G. Russell
September 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM
We don't have room to lose too many more.

Gads. I can just see this thing coming down to the wire with the last game of the season -- against Boston -- being make-or-break.

ndebord
September 19th, 2005, 10:44 PM
We don't have room to lose too many more.

Gads. I can just see this thing coming down to the wire with the last game of the season -- against Boston -- being make-or-break.

Judy,

Joy, JOY! This from Fox Sports says it all!!!!

"Mark Hendrickson won his sixth straight decision and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays held on to beat Boston 8-7 on Monday night, trimming the Red Sox's lead in the AL East over the New York Yankees to one-half game. It is the closest the Yankees, who beat Baltimore 3-2 on Monday, have been since July 26, when they were one game behind. David Ortiz drove in four runs, two on a double in the seventh that got Boston within 7-6 and another on his 44th homer that made it 8-7 with two outs in the ninth."

BIG SMILE...Thank you Tampa Bay!